Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Up to

Hi, I met a sentence that I was much more confused. The sentence is "The secretary's assumption is 'up to' to the GM", does this sentence mean that the GM has the power to decide who will take this position, or does it mean that who takes this position are waiting for the GM's decision?
    Thanks!
    Ian

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Up to

Your sentence is not clear, grammatical English. My guess is that the sentence should be something like this:

The secretary's assumption is that it is up to the GM.

This means that the secretary assumes that "it" (a decision of some sort) will be handled by the GM.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    Your sentence is not clear, grammatical English. My guess is that the sentence should be something like this:

The secretary's assumption is that it is up to the GM.

This means that the secretary assumes that "it" (a decision of some sort) will be handled by the GM.
    Unless 'assumption' is wrong, maybe it should be 'appointment'

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Unless 'assumption' is wrong, maybe it should be 'appointment'
    Thanks, both two,
    One I am still confusing is that can 'assumption' be used in the position assignment situation, or I just can use 'appointment' here, because this sentence was found in my Chinese-English dictionary.
    Thanks and regards!
    Ian

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

You can assume a post, role or position. Normally you would need to be in a position of authority to be able to do this. A position can be assigned to you. You can be appointed to a position. Appointments are normally made after interviewing the candidate. If a position is assigned to you it probably means you didn't have much choice in the matter as someone else made the decision.

Thanks, it is more clear now. 'assume' is that I am responsible for the duty, 'appointment' and 'assignment' is that I am arranged to do something, Am I right?
    Ian

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    Thanks, it is more clear now. 'assume' is that I am responsible for the duty, 'appointment' and 'assignment' is that I am arranged to do something, Am I right?
    Ian
    Not exactly. We arrange furniture, not people. If you assume a duty you have the authority to take it on yourself. If you are given an appointment or an assignment you have been given that appointment or assignment by somebody else.

~R

See, thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    Hi, I met a sentence that I was much more confused. The sentence is "The secretary's assumption is 'up to' to the GM", does this sentence mean that the GM has the power to decide who will take this position, or does it mean that who takes this position are waiting for the GM's decision?
    Thanks!
    Ian
    It is possible that your sentence is using "assumption" to mean "promotion". A very old use of "assumption" (circa 1400) is the taking or lifting up of a person into heaven. The only remaining vestige of this use is in the Catholic Feast of the Assumption, which celebrates the rise of Mary to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    It is possible that your sentence is using "assumption" to mean "promotion". A very old use of "assumption" (circa 1400) is the taking or lifting up of a person into heaven. The only remaining vestige of this use is in the Catholic Feast of the Assumption, which celebrates the rise of Mary to heaven.
    hehe, it seems that my dictionary was compiled by an ancient man, by the way, can I use 'antient' here?
    Thanks for your help.
    Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast