what is the difference between " used to" and "would"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danytouch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,

:?:

I am a new member . I would like you tell me what is the different using " used to and would " in the past.

Thanks and regards,

Dany

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Re: what is the different " Used to and Would "

"Would" is used for any repeated action in the past. "Used to" is for past habits which continued for a long time.

There were telling signs that he'd had too much to drink that night. On finishing his beer, he would stumble to the bar and order another. (The action was repeated, but only on that one night, so we can't say "used to".)

I remember Mac. He used to come here every Friday and order a pint of bitter and, for some reason, a lemon and lime. (This was Mac's usual habit, probably over a period of many years.)

a_3

Member Type
Student or Learner

I'm confused by the meaning of would when talking about past. For example, what's the difference of "yesterday he came here" or "yesterday he would come here"? Is it that when the happening were kind of unexpected or not so usual, then it would be better to use "would"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I'm confused by the meaning of would when talking about past. For example, what's the difference of "yesterday he came here" or "yesterday he would come here"? Is it that when the happening were kind of unexpected or not so usual, then it would be better to use "would"?

One would not use "would" in that sentence with "yesterday". It is difficult to imagine a one-day habit.

Ten years ago, he came here. (one time)
Ten years ago he would come here (often). (repeated action)

a_3

Member Type
Student or Learner

Ok, I guess it makes more sense now. Thanks!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Ok, I guess it makes more sense now. Thanks!

You're welcome. :-D

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher

It is possible to use 'would' in such a sentence, a_3. But this 'would' shows a different modal meaning, not a past tense, not a repeated action. Here it holds a meaning like, "that's something that you expect him to do".

"Yesterday! He would come here/He would do that/ That's his character/manner/habit/etc.

danytouch

Member Type
Student or Learner

"Would" is used for any repeated action in the past. "Used to" is for past habits which continued for a long time.

There were telling signs that he'd had too much to drink that night. On finishing his beer, he would stumble to the bar and order another. (The action was repeated, but only on that one night, so we can't say "used to".)

I remember Mac. He used to come here every Friday and order a pint of bitter and, for some reason, a lemon and lime. (This was Mac's usual habit, probably over a period of many years.)
Thank you so much for your reply my post. I am happy. Now i understand. Hope you don't mind me because my English is not so good, Wish you good luck ...

Best regards,
Dany

Member Type
English Teacher

Hello guy, when you use "would", you´re talking about some possibility.
Eg
I would like to stop smoking.

You didn´t stop smoking yet, but you think you need to stop.

When you use "use to", you´re telling about something you already did, but you don´t do anymore.
Eg
I used to smoke when I was twenty years old.

See ya

isogi

Member Type
Other
hello..this is isogi, a new member..i'd like to answer the question about the diffference between 'would' and 'used to'.

as far as i know, when would is used, we use a specific period of time in the past where the certain action often happened..e.g'.when i was young,i WOULD GO TO THE BEACH AND SWIM every summer vacation'.

...'EVERY SUMMER VACATION' is the specific period of time in the past.

whereas, 'used to' is used with or without the specific period of time in the past..e.g..."when i was young, i used to go to the beach and swim.

i hope it helps you understand the difference...even a bit..

iconoclast

Member Type
Academic
rewboss's answer puts it in a nutshell. Contextually, however, we also tend to use 'would' when reminiscing about the good old days, e.g. My Grandda would always take a break and sit down in the windbreak for a smoke. first, he'd get out his plug of tobacco and chop off a few bits. Then he'd shred them in the palm of his hand and .....

tareq10

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
used to would are both used to talk about repeated actions and events

used to is only used to talk about repeated states and habits

e.g: I would /used to visit my friend every weekend. ( repeated action)
I used to be a teacher.( state in the past ) we can't use would
I used to smoke. ( habit)

dasari

Member Type
Student or Learner
Re:what is the difference between will and shall ?

good morning sir,
please requst for you what is the difference between will and shall ?please send me this difference

alsooth

Member Type
English Teacher
1.used to.....refers to the things that you liked to do in the past.
For example--

John used to walk to school, but now he goes to school by bus.

2.The word "would" is not necessarily used as a past tense. You can simply use it in a "request."
For example---

Bill: Would you like to join me for dinner tomorrow night?
Tom: Yes, I 'd love to, but I'm afraid I can't.
Bill: How come?
Tom: I need to finish my history report. It's due this Friday.:-D

macanudo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
Another important difference between 'used to' and 'would' is that 'would' can only be used with past habits not past states:

Correct -> I used to own a Porsche before my company went bankrupt.
Not Correct ->I would own a Porsche before my company went bankrupt.

I just wrote a short article about this: Used to vs. Would
Be sure to check it out. I hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.