Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    metaphor

    What is a metaphor?

    Thnx
    xXxSharanxXx


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: metaphor

    noun 1 a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable (e.g. food for thought). 2 a thing symbolic of something else.

  2. #3

    Re: metaphor

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    What is a metaphor?

    Thnx
    xXxSharanxXx

    Alejandra

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 1,198
    #4

    Re: metaphor

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    What is a metaphor?
    Thnx
    xXxSharanxXx
    Most of human language is based on metaphor. There is a book by Lakoff titled: The metaphor we live by. There is lexical metaphor: sales figures are rising - or grammatical metaphor.

  3. #5

    Re: metaphor

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    Most of human language is based on metaphor. There is a book by Lakoff titled: The metaphor we live by. There is lexical metaphor: sales figures are rising - or grammatical metaphor.
    Tell me more

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 1,198
    #6

    Re: metaphor

    Metaphor is the same as simile (regarded as equivalent to something but not associated with it) but without the words like or as:

    Lexical metaphor
    She is a rose. Metaphor
    She is like a rose. Simile

    Grammatical metaphor: Meaning construed in a different way by means of a different grammatical construction:
    The brakes failed. The brake failure (transforming lexical to grammatical metaphor)

    Congruent vs metaphorical expressions:
    Congruent (literal) as opposed to the metaphorical realization of meaning.

    This is a very wide area the best way for you first is to go to Wikipedia click on English and search for:
    Metaphor
    conceptual metaphor
    grammatical metaphor

    Metaphor is a never-ending topic. You can only discuss certain areas after you have read the articles.l
    Last edited by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim; 13-Dec-2006 at 09:19.

  4. #7

    Post Re: metaphor

    Thank you Dr.


    could you tell how did you prepar your master ?
    I have a research but I have no idea how to be prepared for knowledge ,
    Please tell me any thing from your experiance .

  5. #8

    Smile Re: metaphor

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    Metaphor is the same as simile (regarded as equivalent to something but not associated with it) but without the words like or as:

    Lexical metaphor
    She is a rose. Metaphor
    She is like a rose. Simile

    Grammatical metaphor: Meaning construed in a different way by means of a different grammatical construction:
    The brakes failed. The brake failure (transforming lexical to grammatical metaphor)

    Congruent vs metaphorical expressions:
    Congruent (literal) as opposed to the metaphorical realization of meaning.

    This is a very wide area the best way for you first is to go to Wikipedia click on English and search for:
    Metaphor
    conceptual metaphor
    grammatical metaphor

    Metaphor is a never-ending topic. You can only discuss certain areas after you have read the articles.l
    Thank you
    I made a copy for these words in my computer
    Last edited by alihandra; 14-Dec-2006 at 22:48.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2005
    • Posts: 1,198
    #9

    Re: metaphor

    Quote Originally Posted by alihandra View Post
    Thank you Dr.


    could you tell how did you prepar your master ?
    I have a research but I have no idea how to be prepared for knowledge ,
    Please tell me any thing from your experiance .
    Depends upon your advisor, faculty and the requirements. They are not the same all over the world. Usually you are required to submit a Master`s paper or thesis. Your paper should reflect your ability to work as an academic ie no black and white statements but objective and knowlegeable discussion. You need to do some research (library, experiments, interviews....)so that you know sth needs to be done. The ideas or the arguements should be yours own, not plagiarized and you are not supposed to re-invent the wheel. Talk to your advisor.

Similar Threads

  1. I need someone that wants to review my thesis research
    By vinicio in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2006, 01:12
  2. metaphor?
    By Unregistered user in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Apr-2006, 13:22
  3. is this a metaphor?
    By studygirl in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2006, 20:25
  4. Grammatical Metaphor
    By Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2005, 10:33
  5. metaphor
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2004, 18:38

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •