• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

bend over etc.

Dear teachers,
    I have two questions to ask:

No. 1
    I don't like the way teachers ________ ( hover, bend, watch) over students all the time.

The key is all of the three words in the bracket. However, I can only find the collocation of 'watch over'. Could you please explain why the other two are correct?

No.2

way out west
    way up north of the city
    Here 'way' means 'far'. No problem. Could you please explain the difference between 'way out' and 'way up'?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.
    Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: bend over etc.

1-- I don't much care for any but hover; are you sure that we are not to choose the best answer? Hover (over) = to keep lingering about; wait near at hand.

2-- Way up requires (in this context) a northerly direction (cf. 'Way down south in Dixie'). Out is used for an east-west direction (and at a distance).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,
    I have two questions to ask:

No. 1
    I don't like the way teachers ________ ( hover, bend, watch) over students all the time.

The key is all of the three words in the bracket. However, I can only find the collocation of 'watch over'. Could you please explain why the other two are correct?

No.2

way out west
    way up north of the city
    Here 'way' means 'far'. No problem. Could you please explain the difference between 'way out' and 'way up'?

Thank you in advance.
    Jiang
    1. Be somewhat careful about "common" collocations. "Watch" commonly collocates with "over" and it is probably more common than "hover over", but "watch over" has a positive meaning (security, safety, caring) and "hover over" has a negative meaning (controlling, interfering).

Because this use starts with "don't like", I would choose "hover". "Bend over" is neutral, but doesn't fit the sentence.

2. The "up" in "way up" refers to a direction. It could be elevation, or north on a map. "Way out" just means "far away".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Mister Micawber,
    I was ready to responde to you when my Internet station broke down and it wasn't fixed until now.
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand No.2.

No.1 is an exercise that require us to choose the best answer. Each sentence provides more than two choices in the brackets. In some of the sentences only one choice is correct. In others two or three are the correct choices. The example I gave was that there are three choices and the key is that all of them are correct. That's why I felt puzzled.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Micawber View Post
    1-- I don't much care for any but hover; are you sure that we are not to choose the best answer? Hover (over) = to keep lingering about; wait near at hand.

2-- Way up requires (in this context) a northerly direction (cf. 'Way down south in Dixie'). Out is used for an east-west direction (and at a distance).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Mike,
    I was about to reply when my Internet station broke down.

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    1. Be somewhat careful about "common" collocations. "Watch" commonly collocates with "over" and it is probably more common than "hover over", but "watch over" has a positive meaning (security, safety, caring) and "hover over" has a negative meaning (controlling, interfering).
    I understand this part.
    Because this use starts with "don't like", I would choose "hover". "Bend over" is neutral, but doesn't fit the sentence.
    I don't understand "Bend over" is neutral". I can't find the phrase in my dictionary. Could you please tell if it means it neither have a positive meaning nor negative meaning. Since we have 'don't like' we can use the phrase here. Is that right?
    Can I say because their teachers pay regard them as young kids so they pay too much attention to the students which makes the students 'don't like'?

Thank you in advance.
    Jiang

2. The "up" in "way up" refers to a direction. It could be elevation, or north on a map. "Way out" just means "far away".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear Mike,
    I was about to reply when my Internet station broke down.

Jiang
    "Bend over" refers to a physical position, standing with a bend at the waist. It is neutral in that it has no positive otr negative connotation by itself. It doesn't fit because nobody would object to that physical position.

Yes, if the statement was made by a student it may have been in response to too much attention or control.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    "Bend over" refers to a physical position, standing with a bend at the waist. It is neutral in that it has no positive otr negative connotation by itself. It doesn't fit because nobody would object to that physical position.

Yes, if the statement was made by a student it may have been in response to too much attention or control.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Jiang
    Great!