Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Nov 2005
    • Posts: 109
    #1

    put on/ put through

    The telephone rings, you pick it up and that is from your secretary Bruce who tells you Miss Xena wants to speak with you. What do you say to Bruce if you want to talk to Xena? 'Put her on', or 'Put her through'?
    Thanks.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: put on/ put through

    Quote Originally Posted by MadHorse View Post
    The telephone rings, you pick it up and that is from your secretary Bruce who tells you Miss Xena wants to speak with you. What do you say to Bruce if you want to talk to Xena? 'Put her on', or 'Put her through'?
    Thanks.
    Either.

  2. retro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 347
    #3

    Re: put on/ put through

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Either.
    IMO, "put through" is the correct answer unless Bruce and Miss Xena is in the same room.

    If someone outside the building which you are in or inside but in another room wants to talk to you they should tell your secretary: "please put me through to..."

    "Put someone on" (giving somebody the telephone) would work here if the secretary and Miss Xena were in the same room, then you may say: "put her on".
    Last edited by retro; 14-Dec-2006 at 20:17.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: put on/ put through

    Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    IMO, "put through" is the correct answer unless Bruce and Miss Xena is in the same room.

    If someone outside the building which you are in or inside but in another room wants to talk to you should tell your secretary: "please put me through to..."

    "Put someone on" (giving somebody the telephone) would work here if the secretary and Miss Xena were in the same room, then you may say: "put her on".
    "Put her on" could refer to on his phone line. The same goes with "put her through".

  4. retro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 347
    #5

    Re: put on/ put through

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    "Put her on" could refer to on his phone line. The same goes with "put her through".
    When I worked in a hotel, "put sb through" was used. That, of course, doesn't rule out the correctness of "put sb on".

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: put on/ put through

    Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    When I worked in a hotel, "put sb through" was used. That, of course, doesn't rule out the correctness of "put sb on".
    Yes, I think with a very large telephone system, that would be the more common phrase.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •