Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

speech

Hi, could someone please have a look at the speech below for grammar mistakes?
    Thanks

Dear Parents, Guests and all who are sitting here;
    I am pleased to welcome you on the sports day on the behalf of the entire faculty of ABC school. We are so grateful to you for your presence. The reason your presence was necessary was to encourage the students who are participating in the sports day activities. This is our first sports day. So, I hope you will discount the mistakes. So, letís starts our program with the name of ALLAH. For that, I would like to call upon Mr. Sameer to come to the stage and do recitation. Now as you know itís impossible that we glorify GOD and donít praise His Prophet (P.B.U.H) . So for exalting our beloved Holy Prophet ( S.A.W.). I would like to call upon Mr. Fahad to come and sing the praises of our beloved Holy Prophet.(S.A.W.).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium

Re: speech

I'll give it my best (partial) shot Asad

Dear Parents, Honorable Guests ;

May I welcome you on behalf of the entire faculty of ABC school on our sports day.
    We are so grateful for your presence here because it's necessary to encourage the students who are participating in the activities.
    This is the first time we organise such an event, so please bear with us if anything isn't exactly the way it should be.

Here, I don't dare to continue because this is religion and I certainly don't want to offend someone.

Now, let’s starts our program with the name of ALLAH. For that, I would like to call upon Mr. Sameer to come to the stage and do recitation. Now as you know it’s impossible that we glorify GOD and don’t praise His Prophet (P.B.U.H) . So for exalting our beloved Holy Prophet ( S.A.W.). I would like to call upon Mr. Fahad to come and sing the praises of our beloved Holy Prophet.(S.A.W.).
    Last edited by Miner49'er; 16-Dec-2006 at 02:07.

Thanks for your help, Miner49'er. But I want you to correct the grammar mistakes in the second part too.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium

I realy would like to Asad but in that part it is not only the grammar but also the tone of the speech that counts.

You realy wouldn't like to anger an Imaan with my homebrew sentences

EDIT:
    Hehe, ... Let's see what the real teachers will make of it, shall we?
    Last edited by Miner49'er; 16-Dec-2006 at 00:00.

I am still up the creek with it.

Now, letís starts our program with the name of ALLAH. For that, I would like to call upon Mr. Sameer to come to the stage and do recitation. Now as you know, itís impossible that we glorify GOD and donít praise His Prophet (P.B.U.H) . So for exalting our beloved Holy Prophet ( S.A.W.), I would like to call upon Mr. Fahad to come and sing the praises of our beloved Holy Prophet.(S.A.W.).

Ok I'll risk it -

"do recitation" - are you meaning "recite a [poem/text/scripture]"

Do you literally mean "sing" or do you rather mean to say something along the lines of "extol our beloved Prophet".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    Hi, could someone please have a look at the speech below for grammar mistakes?
    Thanks

Ladies & Gentlemen, parents, children, friends & colleagues.
    On behalf of the entire faculty I am honoured and pleased to welcome you here today, our first sports day for ABC school.

We are so grateful to you for your presence and support without which our task would be doubly difficult in encouraging and supporting our students whilst they participate in today's events. They are the reason we are here, they are what matter most to all of us and it is gratifying to see so many of you giving your time and enthusiasm to make the day a success. This is a new experience for me so please bear with me if I make the odd mistake.

To start let us begin in the name of ALLAH... I would like to call upon Mr. Sameer to come to the stage to give a recitation in His name...

As you will be aware it is not possible to glorify GOD without praising His Prophet (P.B.U.H) . So that we may exalt our beloved Holy Prophet ( S.A.W.). I would now like to call upon Mr. Fahad to sing praise to the Holy Prophet.(S.A.W.)...

Thankyou.
    Hope this is OK

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium

WOW, nice Curmudgeon.

Now that I see it written like that is seems simple enough.

They are the reason we are here, they are what matter most to all of us and it is gratifying to see so many of you giving your time and enthusiasm to make the day a success.

Curmudgeon, why wouldn't there be a comma before the coordinate conjunction "and" that preceeds "it"?

-- Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast