asking

Dear All,

Would you be so kind as to help me to know more about some words' usage.I have some question which want to be clarified and thanks for your kind help in answering me as soon as possible.
    1./ In which circumstance can we use remember +v-ing and when will we use remember + to infinitive??
    2./ The same question for forget.
    3./ Is there any difference between perusal and reference??

Best regards,
    Mayflower

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: asking

Quote Originally Posted by mayflower View Post
    Dear All,

Would you be so kind as to help me to know more about some words' usage.I have some question which want to be clarified and thanks for your kind help in answering me as soon as possible.
    1./ In which circumstance can we use remember +v-ing and when will we use remember + to infinitive??
    2./ The same question for forget.
    3./ Is there any difference between perusal and reference??

Best regards,
    Mayflower
    With remember and forget, the gerund form refers to remembering or forgetting an actual past action act after it was performed. The infinitive form refers to rembering or forgetting a potential past action before it was performed.

I forgot mailing the letter. [I mailed it, but I didn't remember doing it.]
    I forgot to mail the letter. [I didn't mail the letter because I forgot to do it].

I remember mailing the letter. [I mailed it and I remember actually doing it.]
    I remembered to mail the letter. [I mailed it because I didn't forget to do it.]

"Perusal" means to examine something carefully. "Reference has many meanings, but if this refers to a book or other source, one could peruse that reference.