Pls help me these multiple choice (i don't give you my homework"
1. Can you make ________this prescription, please?
a. up b. for c. about d. into
- When i look up in the dictionary, make out = prescibe
- in this statement, maybe the speaker want to buy the drugs for the chemist's
2. He ________from professional tennis when he was very young
a. left b. retired c. refused c. stopped
- i choose 'b', because after retired is "from", but we usually think retire is for old people who stop working
3. This seems to be the only _______solution
a. possible b. possible c. possibility d. probable
- just possible and probable, i'm so confused
4. At his first_________, Jack threw the javelin over 100 metres.
a. trial b. trying c. attempt d. time
- in sports , i have never know about this, maybe attempt or time
Pls help me, i need it urgently.
your support is highly appreciated
2. Yes, B is correct. Even though this person is not too old to work, he may be too old to continue professional tennis.
3. One could make a case for "probable", but "possible" is far more common. The only real difference is in the likelihood.
4. Attempt. I would tend to use "in" or "on" instead of "at".
Pope of the Dictionary.com Forum