Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I wish you Merry Christmas

About wish, an oxford dictionary says
    #1. to want sth to happen or to be true even though it is unlikely or impossible.
    #2(especially BrE, formal) to want to do sth; to want sth to happen

How I should take the feeling of the speaker who used the word wish, does he or she mean I wish you Merry Christmas even though it is unlikely or imossible lol lol lol , kidding, But this is my serious question for a long time. Why suddenly does the word have the feeling even thouhg it is unlikely or impossible and sometimes not, I cannot get the true feeling of the word wish. Would you please teach me the criterion? I wish ( I mean #2)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I wish you Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    About wish, an oxford dictionary says
    #1. to want sth to happen or to be true even though it is unlikely or impossible.
    #2(especially BrE, formal) to want to do sth; to want sth to happen

How I should take the feeling of the speaker who used the word wish, does he or she mean I wish you Merry Christmas even though it is unlikely or imossible lol lol lol , kidding, But this is my serious question for a long time. Why suddenly does the word have the feeling even thouhg it is unlikely or impossible and sometimes not, I cannot get the true feeling of the word wish. Would you please teach me the criterion? I wish ( I mean #2)
    Context tells one the difference, but it almost doesn't matter. One definition deals with wanting something to happen. The other deals with wanting something even though it is unlikely or impossible. One is covered either way.

Thank you very much, MikeNewYork. It depends on contexts but when you Mike use it, do you have the feeling even though it is unlikely or impossible .... to some extent? I'm afraid of being misunderstood so I try not to use the word excep the cases that I wish I were ..(subjunctive). I appreciate any comment of you about this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

It's not related to the word 'wish' itself, but to the possibility of the event that is desired. Merry Christmases are reasonable expections, but being able to be something I am not is unlikely or impossible. the meaning of the word hasn't really changed- it's something I desire, but the possibility has.

Thank you very much, Tdol.
    Can I conclude that things you desire(wish) may or may not happen but anyway you hope it happens? In some cases, the possiblity can be low, unlikey or impossible, other cases high, but you hope it happens.

I would like to know the meaning of "Merry christmasses are reasonable exceptions."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

If I wish you a merry Christmas, it is possible that you will have one. If I wish I could be a multi-millionaire, that is not a reasonable expectation, at least according to my latest bank statement. However, I can still dream and wish it, though I know it's unlikely. If an expectation has a good or decent chance of being met, then it is reasonable. To have a good christmas, you need some family, a turkey, to be given a couple of books and for nothing to go particularly wrong. That seems reasonable to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Thank you very much, MikeNewYork. It depends on contexts but when you Mike use it, do you have the feeling even though it is unlikely or impossible .... to some extent? I'm afraid of being misunderstood so I try not to use the word excep the cases that I wish I were ..(subjunctive). I appreciate any comment of you about this.
    You never have to be concerned about wishing for good things for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    If I wish you a merry Christmas, it is possible that you will have one. If I wish I could be a multi-millionaire, that is not a reasonable expectation, at least according to my latest bank statement. However, I can still dream and wish it, though I know it's unlikely. If an expectation has a good or decent chance of being met, then it is reasonable. To have a good christmas, you need some family, a turkey, to be given a couple of books and for nothing to go particularly wrong. That seems reasonable to me.
    Thanks Tdol, I think I understand that in my way. I hope so. But the word hope sounds more positive, right?

thanks for your wishes and same to you..
    I think it means you are desiring some thing special or impossible for other person and try to get this feel. Some body is expecting for you the great happiness... that's what it means.....Is it making sense??

Thanks MikeNewYork and wanttolearn and it makes sense

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast