orchestrate

Hi, I just can not catch the meaning of the last part of the sentense, can you help me

1)"But a merger would allow the enlarged society, accounting for about 80% of co-operative-owned retail outlets, to better orchestrate the way the brand is marketed. "

2)"Likewise, the increasing range of non-food products and services available at the supermarket echoes the "cradle to grave" approach of co-operative societies."
    thanks
    Last edited by me78; 20-Dec-2006 at 15:16.

Re: orchestrate

1: to orchestrate something is to organise the whole thing - personnel, marketing, selling, product appearance

2: Co-operative societies are owned and democratically run by their members. In Britain they have "common ownership" in which everyone has a nominal share of zero value. All profits are shared equally. Co-ops provide services such as insurance and funeral plans, and this model is being copied by other supermarket groups.

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    Hi, I just can not catch the meaning of the last part of the sentense, can you help me

1)"But a merger would allow the enlarged society, accounting for about 80% of co-operative-owned retail outlets, to better orchestrate the way the brand is marketed. "

2)"Likewise, the increasing range of non-food products and services available at the supermarket echoes the "cradle to grave" approach of co-operative societies."
    thanks

thank you for your answer. The first one means:
    The way how the brand is marketed, is being improved by the society

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

thank you for your answer. The first one means:
    The way how the brand is marketed, is being improved by the society
    A bit more than that. Think of a composer orchestrating a piece: he decides and writes down which section of the orchestra is going to do what/when - start with a solo violin, then add percussion after 4 bars, then full strings... etc.

To orchestrate something is to decide who does what/when.

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    A bit more than that. Think of a composer orchestrating a piece: he decides and writes down which section of the orchestra is going to do what/when - start with a solo violin, then add percussion after 4 bars, then full strings... etc.

To orchestrate something is to decide who does what/when.

b
    In the above sentence "to better" is a verb, isn' it. I am fully confused. But as a whole I understand the sentence

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

In the above sentence "to better" is a verb, isn' it. I am fully confused. But as a whole I understand the sentence
    No, it's a comparative adverb, They orchestrate well... /they orchestrate better...

The position is just a stylistic choice.

But I'm glad you understand the main point.

b