sibling

Hi there,

Can I say: Do you have/have you got any sibling? or do I have to say "Do you have/have you got any siblings"?

Which one is okay? In my dictionaries there are no examples with "sibling" There's always "siblings" :-/

Best wishes,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: sibling

Quote Originally Posted by forum_mail View Post
    Hi there,
    Can I say: Do you have/have you got any sibling? or do I have to say "Do you have/have you got any siblings"?
    Which one is okay? In my dictionaries there are no examples with "sibling" There's always "siblings" :-/
    Best wishes,
    I expect the dictionary doesn't have many examples because there aren't many everyday contexts where the word 'sibling' is appropriate. It's academic - used in biology, medicine, demographics, sociology, genetics - that sort of thing.

Colloquially, you would ask 'Do you have/have you got any brothers or sisters?' - both plural. The answer might be 'One of each', or 'I have two brothers and one sister'. Or if the person has brothers and sisters with unambiguously male/female names 'Yes: Theresa and Joan are older than me, and Michael's younger.'

b

Thanks Bob,

Okay, just out of curiosity - if I wanted to use the word sibling, say, during a sociology class or something, which form would be ok? sibling or siblings ? in a question like "Do you have any..."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

- use the plural (if you don't know the answer). But you could use the singular too, in the right context (still in the sociology class): Does this female have a male sibling?