When to use "to" and "for"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitness Lover

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello everyone,

I have a question about when to use "to" and when to use "for". In the following sentence from my report my instructor change the preposition "to" to "for" and I don't know why he did that:

"Here, the cardio exercise to be effective in burning fat, the fat burning zone should be determined to that person."
Although, I feel the sentence is correct with the preposition "to". But, I don't know why it was wrong with preposition "to".

I would be gratefull if somebody would explain me what is going on behind these 2 prepositions with some clear examples.

Best Regards
Fitness Lover

J

JSmiley

the key is the verb 'determine' that you use. If you say:

I determine to buy a car.

then 'buy a car' flows from 'determine' Also 'buy a car' is a nounal phrase (not even a verb anymore dude)

TO talks about the actions coming from the determination

In your sentence, "the fat burning zone" is something that is determined based on the person, so 'determined fat burning zone' flows from 'that person' The flow is the reverse of the first sentence above.

FOR talks about the conditions that led to the determination

Lastly I would put another 'for in your sentence as well.

"For the cardio exercise to be effective in burning fat (effectively burn fat), the fat burning zone should be determined for each individual person."

Hope that helps. This stuff is really hard even for teachers to explain, and any rule I give may well break down. Try practicing with some simple ones:

I bought a present ______ my wife.
I brought a present ______ my wife.
I stopped ______ coffee.
I stopped ______ drink coffee.
Here, I am giving it ____ you.
Here, I was saving it ____ you.
What did you say that ____!?
Who did you say that ____!?

hth

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you look at these examples, you will see that most of the uses of 'to' are different- infinitives or the preposition goes with something else in the sentce, like 'to which it belongs' and 'to a large extent'.

determine for:
1 A1B as there is not (a more piercing uncertainty) anything to determine for us whether "the broadbacked figure drest in blue and green
2 EBA the grassroots levels; particularly the right of the people to determine for themselves what developmental processes best fulfils their aspirations; f a
3 FDC them, but in the final analysis should be free to determine for itself what the child's best interests require. (4
4 FEX . The careful design of the diet will allow you to determine for yourself which foods you can tolerate and which you can not
5 FP2 It has been contended accordingly that managers should be allowed to determine for themselves how thoroughly they need investigate the background to a transaction
6 HH3 life is when she can pick and choose her customers and determine for herself the relationship she will have with them. Then a
7 J6R , because if his power is restricted to a power to determine for certain specified purposes, he may lose the power altogether if
8 JSH that they would not increase prescription charges. Ministers of course always determine for themselves whether they answer by means of a written question or whether they
9 JXJ law, about the soundest conception of justice --; that will determine for him which elaboration of abstract convention

determine to:
1 AMM . To identify any animal properly, the first stage is to determine to which phylum it belongs. Of course even the phyla themselves originated
2 B2C , and the immediate post-mortem circumstances of their remains, will determine to a large extent whether they are left in exposed or protected
3 C8R Lords would have to accept that, but would almost certainly determine to exact a price at the next opportunity. Much of this
4 CE1 markedly in old age, and whilst it is difficult to determine to what extent this is caused by, or is the cause
5 FAC be termed the technical conception of a hierarchical level. To determine to which technical level an element belongs, one needs only to
6 FBV 94; 63 L.T. 805, that is to say the court sought to determine to what extent the law, having regard to the nature of
7 FCG to define with greater precision points at which they may tentatively determine to depart from the agreed package. That should concentrate their mind
8 FCJ grant of nationality, and the member states are free to determine to whom they will grant or refuse their nationality, in the
9 G0X superstitiously, reflecting that if anyone called her Stan she would determine to get her own back on him. "Beuno,"
10 HAJ career. The nature and quality of your basic training will determine to some considerable degree your future prospects. Many authorities offer high
11 HBS you of your duties then the Board may in its discretion determine to pay you compensation in respect of that termination

J

JSmiley

Tdol, what are these gobbledygook codes you are using? some sort of software?

wuwei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, could anybody tell me the meaning of cardio exercise?
Thanks

Fitness Lover

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear teachers,

Thanks a lot for your answers, and sorry for not responding very quickly since I've got too bussy lately.

From your explanation, I almost got it but I need to study your examples more, so I can make a general rule to apply.

Again, thanks a lot for taking the trouple to answer my question.

Best Regards
Fitness Lover

Fitness Lover

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hope that helps. This stuff is really hard even for teachers to explain, and any rule I give may well break down. Try practicing with some simple ones:

I bought a present ______ my wife.
I brought a present ______ my wife.
I stopped ______ coffee.
I stopped ______ drink coffee.
Here, I am giving it ____ you.
Here, I was saving it ____ you.
What did you say that ____!?
Who did you say that ____!?

hth

Dear JSmiley,
I tried to solve your questions, I hope they are correct:

I bought a present ___for___ my wife.
I brought a present ___to___ my wife.
I stopped ___for___ coffee.
I stopped _____to_ drink coffee.
Here, I am giving it __to__ you.
Here, I was saving it __for__ you.
What did you say that __for__!?
Who did you say that __to__!?

Best Regards
Fitness Lover

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
J

JSmiley

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

I posted the examples ______ help!
You did better than I could have wished ____.:-D

My wife just came up with a tough one:

1] What did you ask him that question ____?
2] What question did you ask ____ him?

<hint! number 2 is a trick question!!>

Fitness Lover

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks again for the additional examples.

the following is the solution of what I think it is correct:
I posted the examples ___both ('to' or 'for') are correct___ help!
You did better than I could have wished __to__.

My wife just came up with a tough one:

1] What did you ask him that question __for__?
2] What question did you ask __to (but meaning is different than No. 1)__ him?

Best Regards
Fitness Lover

Status
Not open for further replies.