• Post Thanks / Like

blogging

Hi, I want to be sure if these explanations of the words are correct :
    1) disenchanted Mormon = Mormon with no illusion
    2) high-flying web designer = it is somebody who wants to do more in his job, I don't know the correct word
    3)to signify a new trend = to determine, to denote
    4) this one I don't know:
    "The service, which places text advertisements on blogs and generates a few cents per mouse click, might bring in some spare change
    5) in effect = actually, in reality
    6) niche magazines?
    7) explicitly = clearly
    8) a stable of blogs(= weblog)?
    9) now, however,a third category is emerging = by contrast?
    10) a company is launched by = set up, founded
    11) to farm out advertising sales and administration to a firm...= to hire out, to give it out-house
    12) to run a magazine = to have a magazine
    13) bandwidth costs become significant = the amount (up..to..)
    14) to concur = to have the same opinion

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: blogging

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    Hi, I want to be sure if these explanations of the words are correct :
    1) disenchanted Mormon = Mormon with no illusion about his/her faith - so lapsed, no longer pracitising, or practising with reduced fervour.interes
    2) high-flying web designer = it is somebody who wants to do more in his job, I don't know the correct word
    3)to signify a new trend = to determine, to denote
    4) this one I don't know: See below
    "The service, which places text advertisements on blogs and generates a few cents per mouse click, might bring in some spare change
    5) in effect = actually, in reality
    6) niche magazines? ones that cater for a small and weel-defined interest group
    7) explicitly = clearly
    8) a stable of blogs(= weblog)? I'm not sure of the context/likelihood of a typo! Your'e right about 'blogs', but I've never heard of a stable of them - though it might be an organization that runs several; alternatively, it might be staple, with the sense of 'something common to many.
    9) now, however,a third category is emerging = by contrast?
    10) a company is launched by = set up, founded
    11) to farm out advertising sales and administration to a firm...= to hire out, to give it out-house
    12) to run a magazine = to have a magazine , but in the sense of the organization/legal entity, rather than the piece of paper itself - as I think you'd probably guessed
    13) bandwidth costs become significant = the amount (up..to..)
    14) to concur = to have the same opinion
    • 2 high-flying = very good at his job, but maybe unattractively or dangerously proud of his/her achievements (think of Icarus)
    • 4 'bring in some spare change' - change in the monetary sense - 'make you a small income'
    • 13 Depends on the context. If it's talking about a network, bandwidth = transmission/reception capacity. In figurative uses, it can refer to other sorts of capacity: 'I'd like to help you, but I'm so busy I just haven't got the bandwidth at the moment'.

b
    Last edited by BobK; 29-Dec-2006 at 18:28. Reason: Tweak formatting

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    • 2 high-flying = very good at his job, but maybe unattractively or dangerously proud of his/her achievements (think of Icarus)
    • 4 'bring in some spare change' - change in the monetary sense - 'make you a small income'
    • 13 Depends on the context. If it's talking about a network, bandwidth = transmission/reception capacity. In figurative uses, it can refer to other sorts of capacity: 'I'd like to help you, but I'm so busy I just haven't got the bandwidth at the moment'.

b
    Hi, according to the "stable" I checked in the article , it is exactly with "B" but as you said, it might mean, something common, a lots of companies that come together using blogging because it is said that some blogs which are "run as businesses, paid staff doing the writing and sales dep.....The best example is Gawker Media, a stable of blogs that includes Gawker, a New York gossip site, and Gizmondo, a blog devoted to gadgets"

How can you say "gossip site" with another words= newspaper or magazine that tells the newest information of prominent for example

And about bandwidth according to the fugurative sense, I didn't catch the meaning, sorry

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

How can you say "gossip site" with another words= newspaper or magazine that tells the newest information of prominent for example
    Chat room? Social networking site? Or just a 'newsgroup'/'bulletin board'. Or 'online forum' (or discussion group). Most online newspapers have some kind of discussion group attached.

And about bandwidth according to the fugurative sense, I didn't catch the meaning, sorry
    It's just a hip/cool way of saying 'I can't find time in my busy schedule'. A related (low-tech) version is 'I don't have a window' (a 'window' of time): I have a window between my 2 o'clock meeting and my 3 o'clock interview.

The reverse of this -

I can't meet you on Monday afternoon, I don't have a window.

But this refers to a specific time-slot; bandwidth refers to a more general sort of being occupied:

I can't meet you any time this month - I just don't have the bandwidth.

Both of these are colloquial, but can be heard in some fairly formal (work-based) contexts.

b

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Chat room? Social networking site? Or just a 'newsgroup'/'bulletin board'. Or 'online forum' (or discussion group). Most online newspapers have some kind of discussion group attached.

It's just a hip/cool way of saying 'I can't find time in my busy schedule'. A related (low-tech) version is 'I don't have a window' (a 'window' of time): I have a window between my 2 o'clock meeting and my 3 o'clock interview.

The reverse of this -

I can't meet you on Monday afternoon, I don't have a window.

But this refers to a specific time-slot; bandwidth refers to a more general sort of being occupied:

I can't meet you any time this month - I just don't have the bandwidth.

Both of these are colloquial, but can be heard in some fairly formal (work-based) contexts.

b
    thank you Bob and I wish you a happy New Year and always be such a great teacher!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

thank you Bob and I wish you a happy New Year and always be such a great teacher!
    I do my best

Happy New Year! me78.