• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

For native speakers ,which sentence is better?

Hi everyone,

My native language is Chinese and I have been learning English for about 10 years. I suppose one of the best methods to master English is to compare these two language ,pick out the differences and then pay more attention to them.However, sometimes I am confused about these differences. I can't understand why the English sentences in the paragraph should be organized this way or that way.I am now giving you one example.

Sensuality is only one force pushing the Net toward intelligence. An eerie symbiosis of human and machine effort is also starting to evolve .The Internet creates a channel for thousands of programmers around the world to collaborate on software development and debugging. Through collaboration,this community can push past the technical barriers to machine intelligence.

If the underlined sentence translated into the original Chinese meaning, the sentence should be arranged this way. The collaboration makes this community push past the technical barriers to machine intelligence.I am wondering whether this sentence can replace the underline the underlined sentence.If not ,could you please give me some reasons?

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

Weiqun

1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Re: For native speakers ,which sentence is better?

Quote Originally Posted by weiqun ding View Post
    Hi everyone,

My native language is Chinese and I have been learning English for about 10 years. I suppose one of the best methods to master English is to compare these two language ,pick out the differences and then pay more attention to them.However, sometimes I am confused about these differences. I can't understand why the English sentences in the paragraph should be organized this way or that way.I am now giving you one example.

Sensuality is only one force pushing the Net toward intelligence. An eerie symbiosis of human and machine effort is also starting to evolve .The Internet creates a channel for thousands of programmers around the world to collaborate on software development and debugging. Through collaboration,this community can push past the technical barriers to machine intelligence.

If the underlined sentence translated into the original Chinese meaning, the sentence should be arranged this way. The collaboration makes this community push past the technical barriers to machine intelligence.I am wondering whether this sentence can replace the underline the underlined sentence.If not ,could you please give me some reasons?

Weiqun
    HI !!
    I've been interested by your query & I find necesary to say u one thing: Frankly, the two sentences above r both incorrect. Thus, avoid using them, u have a large choice of other examples.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO
    BEST REGARDS.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by coolman View Post
    HI !!

I've been interested by your query & I find necesary to say u one thing: Frankly, the two sentences above r both incorrect. Thus, avoid using them, u have a large choice of other examples.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO
    BEST REGARDS.

Thank you for your quick reply.The above sentences are quotated from our demestic interpretation courses.They should be correct,but I am not sure.Anyway could you point out the incorrectness and give me the reasons?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by weiqun ding View Post
    Hi everyone,

Weiqun
    Hello Weiqun,

Grammatically and structurally, the sentences are fine.

If you mean that the word order for the sentence changed into Chinese would read as written, I can't argue with you but as regards the two sentences, the meaning has been changed. That's not usually the best idea when one translates.

So, the translated version could not substitute for the original. English meaning comes from word order, so I caution against translation as a method of learning English. You have to learn to function in English which means that you have to "think" in English.

Through collaboration,this community can push past the technical barriers to machine intelligence.

PARAPHRASED,

If there is collaboration [and I feel it can happen], this community can overcome the technical problems and solve the problems surrounding making machines intelligent.

A Big Happy New Year to you too!!
    Last edited by riverkid; 01-Jan-2007 at 07:12.