• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Happy New Year and two questions plz :)

Dear teachers,I am reading one article now, it is titled "The dreaded surge". Two sentences of it puzzle me. 1. The water came dead level with the Chelsea Embankment and overflowed at Putney, where swans were seen to swim across the roadway.What does the word "dead" mean? 2. By now people in the worst hit outlying areas to the east of London were fleeing to the comparative safety of the inner areas, many in makeshift trains made up largely of cattle trucks. What are " cattle trucks"? What is the connection between trucks and train?train or trucks anyway?Please help.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Happy New Year and two questions plz :)

Happy New Year!

In that context, dead means exact, precise; e.g., dead center of a circle, a dead shot, to be dead right.

To truck something is to move supplies or goods. A cattle truck holds cattle. In Canada, we call them cattle cars. They are cars of a train. Here's a photo of a cattle truck.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by japanjapan View Post
    Dear teachers,I am reading one article now, it is titled "The dreaded surge". Two sentences of it puzzle me.

2. By now people in the worst hit outlying areas to the east of London were fleeing to the comparative safety of the inner areas, many in makeshift trains made up largely of cattle trucks. What are " cattle trucks"? What is the connection between trucks and train?train or trucks anyway?Please help.
    This 'trains' has nothing to do with actual trains, japanjapan. It's a figurative use of train and you can see that by the use of 'makeshift. Many cattle trucks/cattle liners were used in this case to transport people. They ran together, safety in numbers, transporting people from the flooded areas to safe areas.

Here's a pic of a Canadian cattle truck. I suspect that the British ones are similar.

JPG Magazine: Photos: "Cattle Truck" by Jackie Taylor

This use of train is as described in this dictionary entry from M-W online:

Main Entry: 2train
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from trainer to draw, drag

2 a : RETINUE, SUITE b : a moving file of persons, vehicles, or animals
    Last edited by riverkid; 01-Jan-2007 at 17:13.

• Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected.

Thank you, riverkid.

Happy New Year's!

• Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome, Casiopea.

A Happy New Year to you too.