exposed

Hi everybody, can you help me with this sentence:
    " When it comes to counterfeiting, for example, producers of fake drugs are still not tracked down by the authorities, but they are dealt with when exposed by others"
    What does it mean "exposed"
    2) sufficient means enough, don't it
    3) to transfer readily = easy?
    4)significant = considerable
    5) broadly = general
    unsustainable = not to stop e.g. advantage because of the competitors who copy it
    6) what does it mean research hubs?
    7) sophisticated back-end world of product development?
    Last edited by me78; 01-Jan-2007 at 23:17.

Re: exposed

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    Hi everybody, can you help me with this sentence:
    " When it comes to counterfeiting, for example, producers of fake drugs are still not tracked down by the authorities, but they are dealt with when exposed by others"
    What does it mean "exposed" The authorities deal with counterfeiters when and if someone else reveals their existence.
    2) sufficient means enough, don't it
    3) to transfer readily = easy? easily
    4)significant = considerable important [but context wold help]
    5) broadly = general
    unsustainable = not to stop e.g. advantage because of the competitors who copy it Is this the phrase "broadly unsustainable"? In which case it means that whatever is being discussed in not easily sustained. Context would help
    6) what does it mean research hubs? a "hub" in this context is a centre of activity - so research hubs are centres of research activity
    7) sophisticated back-end world of product development? "back-end" is a computer term for a process which operates behind programs being used. In this context it is suggesting that behind product development there is a sophisticated process which is unseen.

Hi,
    1) About unsustainable, it is said that other big drug companies have not set up significant (important) research centres. And this advantage is unsustainable because the rivals will not be far behind if the company succeeds.
    2) Does "subtle " mean something in a hidden way
    e.g. "subtle marketing benefits for a company"
    3) The sentence with the counterfeiters
    I just wanted to ask if I have it undertood correctly.
    The authorities begin to deal with counterfeiters only then when somebody else find the whole thing about these fake drugs.
    4) an synonym for sophisticated : to go forward very quickly?
    5) how do you understand "intellectual property" :my ideas, my knowledge?
    Last edited by me78; 02-Jan-2007 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    Hi,
    1) About unsustainable, it is said that other big drug companies have not set up significant (important) research centres. And this advantage is unsustainable because the rivals will not be far behind if the company succeeds.
    2) Does "subtle " mean something in a hidden way It implies benefits that are not obvious; "not hidden" is not quite the right meaning.
    e.g. "subtle marketing benefits for a company"
    3) The sentence with the counterfeiters
    I just wanted to ask if I have it undertood correctly.
    The authorities begin to deal with counterfeiters only then when somebody else find the whole thing about these fake drugs. Yes - you have understood it.
    4) an synonym for sophisticated : to go forward very quickly? "sophisticated" = highly developed and complex.
    5) how do you understand "intellectual property" :my ideas, my knowledge? Your ideas, your writings, anything you have created. Not knowledge, which is a cumulation of acquired information.