Need help on tense and grammar

Hello teachers,
    I have a paragraph that I would like you to help me check if there was anything incorrect.

"Although Americans spent a significant amount of time in front of the screen, however, they did not enjoy their viewing experience. Sometimes they do not get to watch their favourite show due to air times, sometimes they get disrupted by calls during show time, and advertisements in US have been described as “brain dead”. Ideally, they would want to watch their favourite show whenever they want, skip the advertisements, and replay a great basketball shot in slow motion. In short, TV viewers want a personalised TV system. Despite the existence of VCR, it could not perform all the requirements described as above and was difficult to program. Market Research for TiVo showed a lot of consumers were interested in TiVo."

Regards
    kcg

Re: Need help on tense and grammar

kcg, we try not to do homework assignments. Sorry. Is there a specific question about tense that we can help you with?

Happy New Year!

Casiopea,
    Thank you for your reply. For your information, this is not actually an english assignment. I got confused on tenses. For example, after the sentence

"Sometimes they do not get to watch their favourite show due to air times, sometimes they get disrupted by calls during show time, and advertisements in US have been described as “brain dead” " is in present tense. and so is the sentence ideally.

Should sentences after "sometimes" and "ideally" be present tense? Is there any such rule?

Happy New Year to you as well!

Regards
    kcg

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In a narrative such as yours, it is important to remain in one tense unless the narration itself changes time frame.

If you start with, "Americans spent..." then the next sentence should be, "Sometimes they did...got..."

Most English teachers (myself included) will tell you that this type of writing should be in the present tense.

Try it again like this:

Although Americans spend a good deal of time in front of their television screens, they do not enjoy the experience.

Thank you, mykwyner. I used to think after "sometimes", it should be followed by present tense, like after "always".