co-op

Hi, can you explain me this phrase with easier words.:
    "Likewise, the increasing range of non-food products and services available at the supermarket echoes the "cradle to grave" approach of co-operative societies.
    United, which is still based in Rochdale, can trace its roots back to the first modern co-operative, the Rochdale Pioneer Society, founded more than 160 years ago.
    1) to echo the cradle to grave approach = the supermarket makes the same try as the co-op?
    2) to trace the roots back = their beginning was similar to the first modern co-operative?
    3) societies mean companies , dont'it
    4)"Both United and the Co-op Group have seen their businesses expand and diversify in recent decades as the once fragmented co-operative movement has slowly reorganised itself in a belated effort to keep pace with the supermarket corporations"
    I understand this sentence in this way:
    The both co-op see themselves in the future as growing and changing if the co-op movement will reorganise itself because of its compex (split)structure even in a delayed efford to keep up with the supermaket co-op. Is this correct, I am not sure about the second part
    Last edited by me78; 03-Jan-2007 at 19:46.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: co-op

"echoes the "cradle to grave" approach"
    looking at the entire process/system-i'm not so sure how to explain this
    "can trace its roots back"
    the company realizes/knows that it is a newer version of the described company-newer version meaning that the owner of the first company sold the company or had their children run the company, and the company changed owners like this until it became the United company
    "as the once fragmented co-operative movement has slowly reorganised itself"
    this basically means a group that was once divided or weak has strenghtened itself as a whole; it has improved its unity through actions like meetings, etc. slowly
    sorry if this isn't 100% clear!! ask any questions you have and I'll try to reclarify.

In the UK Co-operative Societies are commercial unions owned by their customers, who receive dividends. Traditionally, they provided members with complete service from birth to death - "cradle to grave". Modern supermarket chains are promoting this aspect by including services as well as food and other goods. The Co-ops began to find that they were losing their customers to the supermarket groups and are changing their methods to regain customers.

In relation of the "trace its root back":
    Does it mean that the roots of United are from Rochdale Pioneer Society.RPS set up the United Co-ops.
    2) Does "to prompt" mean to inspire in order to take over a lots of emerging co-op
    E.g. Frustrations with manufacturers had prompted scores of emerging co-op groups to club together.

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    In relation of the "trace its root back":
    Does it mean that the roots of United are from Rochdale Pioneer Society.RPS set up the United Co-ops. Yes
    2) Does "to prompt" mean to inspire in order to take over a lots of emerging co-op
    E.g. Frustrations with manufacturers had prompted scores of emerging co-op groups to club together. Possible, though in this context, I would suggest that the frustrations have encouraged the co-ops to club together

thank you