1. Unregistered

Compositions.

I need help with these questions my teacher gave me to do. Will someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong.

Composition:
    In order to prove that shipwrecked sailors could survive in an open boat at sea, Dr. Bombard decided to conduct an experiment. First, he chose a 15 foot open rubber boat. Then he decided not to take any food or water with him. Since most shipwrecked sailors die from lack of food or water, he wanted to find a way to survive strictly off the sea. Finally, on October 1, 1953, Dr. Bombard started his journey across the Atlantic ocean.
    Dr. Bombard discovered two very important things in his journey. The most important thing was that sailors could drink seawater. This was something that many felt would speed death instead of helping people to live. Dr. Bombard drank over a pint of seawater everyday and lived to tell about it. His next important discovery was that he could keep from getting diseases caused by lack of proper vitamins by eating plankton. Plankton are small, vitamin rich plants and animals that float in the sea. Many sea creatures love on plankton. Eating just a teaspoon or so of plankton a day gave him all the vitamins and minerals he needed. He also ate raw fish that he caught daily. Although he lost 56 pounds, Dr. Bombard proved that sailors could survive by living of the sea.

1. Underline the topic sentence in each paragraph.
    2. How many supporting details are in the first paragraph?_6_ The second?_5__
    3. Is the first paragraph written in chronological or spatial order? Chronological
    4. Write the time order words found in the first paragraph. First-Then-Finally
    5. What is the topic of the selection? That you can survive at sea
    6. Write one possible audience that might be interested in the selection.
    Someone going on a cruise.
    7. Complete the outline for the selection.
    I. Dr. Bombard gets ready
    A. For his experiment
    B. To show people that you can survive at sea.
    II. Discoveries
    A. that sailors could drink sea water.
    B. he could keep from getting diseases by eating plankton.
    8. Write two questions you would ask Dr. Bombard in an interview.
    1. How long could someone survive at sea?
    2. Would you do it again?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I need help with these questions my teacher gave me to do. Will someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong.
    Composition:
    In order to prove that shipwrecked sailors could survive in an open boat at sea, Dr. Bombard decided to conduct an experiment. First, he chose a 15 foot open rubber boat. Then he decided not to take any food or water with him. Since most shipwrecked sailors die from lack of food or water, he wanted to find a way to survive strictly off the sea. Finally, on October 1, 1953, Dr. Bombard started his journey across the Atlantic ocean.
    Dr. Bombard discovered two very important things in his journey. The most important thing was that sailors could drink seawater. This was something that many felt would speed death instead of helping people to live. Dr. Bombard drank over a pint of seawater everyday and lived to tell about it. His next important discovery was that he could keep from getting diseases caused by lack of proper vitamins by eating plankton. Plankton are small, vitamin rich plants and animals that float in the sea. Many sea creatures love on plankton. Eating just a teaspoon or so of plankton a day gave him all the vitamins and minerals he needed. He also ate raw fish that he caught daily. Although he lost 56 pounds, Dr. Bombard proved that sailors could survive by living of the sea.

1. Underline the topic sentence in each paragraph.
    2. How many supporting details are in the first paragraph?_6_ The second?_5__ (Post these please, I got different numbers.)
    3. Is the first paragraph written in chronological or spatial order? Chronological
    4. Write the time order words found in the first paragraph. First-Then-Finally
    5. What is the topic of the selection? That you can survive at sea-I would say that's more of the conclusion-the topic would probably be more like "Dr. Bombard's experiment"
    6. Write one possible audience that might be interested in the selection.
    Someone going on a cruise
    7. Complete the outline for the selection.
    I. Dr. Bombard gets ready
    A. his motive for the experiment
    B. his preparations
    II. Discoveries
    A. that sailors could drink sea water.
    B. he could keep from getting diseases by eating plankton.
    8. Write two questions you would ask Dr. Bombard in an interview.
    1. How long could someone survive at sea?
    2. Would you do it again?
    hope this helps.