meaning of sentences???

"The Duchess of Dowdy strikes again," wrote Blackwell. "In feathered hats that were once the rage, she resembles a petrified parakeet from the Jurassic age. A royal wreck."

Others in Blackwell's fashion hall of shame were singer Christina Aguilera. He called her a "dazzling singer" but added she "puts good taste through the wardrobe wringer. All crass and no class."

Could you please help me explain the meaning of these sentences.

Thanks a miliion

Re: meaning of sentences???

Quote Originally Posted by Damnit View Post
    "The Duchess of Dowdy strikes again," wrote Blackwell. "In feathered hats that were once the rage, she resembles a petrified parakeet from the Jurassic age. A royal wreck."

Others in Blackwell's fashion hall of shame were singer Christina Aguilera. He called her a "dazzling singer" but added she "puts good taste through the wardrobe wringer. All crass and no class."

Could you please help me explain the meaning of these sentences.

Thanks a miliion

Hi,

I am not familiar with the persons mentioned except Christina Aguilera. Anyway, I can explain to you the meaning of the sentences.

The Duchess of Dowdy strikes again - The Duchess makes an appearance in the public or the Duchess does something noticeable.

featherd hats that were once the rage - featherd hats that were once very popular and fashionable, which means they are now out of fashion

she resembles a petrified parakeet from the Jurassic age - in those out of fashion featherd hats , the Duchess looks like a terrified jurassic parakeet.

Jurassic - hope you know this, refers to an age in the Evolution process.

Royal wreck - a royal person who has made a bad appearance of herself. Royal can also mean in big measures

Making fun of the way the Duchess' looks in that odd hat.

The next one continues in the same tone, criticising the famous singer's dress sense.

Blackwell's fashion hall of shame - you must have heard of Hall of Fame, here it is the hall of shame as far as fashion is concerned. That is, those who get listed in the hall of shame have a bad sense of fashion.

Blackwell considers the singer as a dazzling one, but her taste of dressing is really bad.

she has put good tatse through the wardrobe wringer - she has lost all sense of good taste in selecting her clothes

all crass and no class - very stupid and with no style at all

hope this helps you