Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 171
    #1

    preposition

    which is correct?

    "i'm heading home, d'yu need anything?"

    "i'm heading for home, d'yu need anything?"

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #2

    Re: preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by chum View Post
    which is correct?

    "i'm heading home, d'yu need anything?"

    "i'm heading for home, d'yu need anything?"
    As far as I know "home" doesn't take a preposition in such cases. But I'd say "I am going home, d'you need anything?"

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    As far as I know "home" doesn't take a preposition in such cases. But I'd say "I am going home, d'you need anything?"
    No, you're right Harry. A longer itinerary would be needed:

    'I'm going to spend a few weeks in Bali, then Tokyo, then I'm heading for home.'

    b

  3. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #4

    Re: preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    No, you're right Harry. A longer itinerary would be needed:

    'I'm going to spend a few weeks in Bali, then Tokyo, then I'm heading for home.'

    b
    I can agree with your version. But when somebody says "I'm heading for home. D'you need anything?" It's something different. Better to say "I'm going home....."

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I can agree with your version. But when somebody says "I'm heading for home. D'you need anything?" It's something different. Better to say "I'm going home....."
    Yes, in 999 cases out of 1000. But in the case of a longer journey it would be possible to say "[Tokyo, Bali etc, then] ...I'm heading for home. D'you need anything [from the DutyFree shop]?" Make that 999,999 out of a million

    b

  5. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #6

    Re: preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Yes, in 999 cases out of 1000. But in the case of a longer journey it would be possible to say "[Tokyo, Bali etc, then] ...I'm heading for home. D'you need anything [from the DutyFree shop]?" Make that 999,999 out of a million

    b
    Of course it's possible to say "I'm heading for home" if you are in Japan. At the same time I'm thinking I'd say "I'm flying home. D'you need anything from the Duty Free area?"

Similar Threads

  1. Participle verb OR preposition verb?
    By elaineyi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2005, 09:09
  2. Preposition question
    By Nordic Bill in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2005, 09:13
  3. preposition after the verb 'to invite'
    By Yvonne Young in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2005, 02:26
  4. preposition
    By james_chew_84 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2005, 07:01

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •