Results 1 to 3 of 3

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 1,740
    #1

    left out

    I heard the phrase `night out' and `left out' in many occasions. But I couldn't understand that.

    Also, I could not find meaning of these anywhere on google.

    Could you explain the meaning of that two phrases?

  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Albanian
      • Home Country:
      • Albania
      • Current Location:
      • Albania

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 4
    #2

    Re: left out

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    I heard the phrase `night out' and `left out' in many occasions. But I couldn't understand that.

    Also, I could not find meaning of these anywhere on google.

    Could you explain the meaning of that two phrases?
    hello!
    i think the meaning of the"night out" is to pass the night outside and the meaning of the "left out" is to fail,to include something...
    for example:
    you left out the best parts of the story!


  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: left out

    Quote Originally Posted by el_84 View Post
    hello!
    i think the meaning of [the]"night out" is to pass the night outside
    It's a noun phrase, and doesn't have to refer to the outside. A 'night out' just has to be spent away from home - you can have a 'night out' in a pub and then go home and sleep in your own bed. If you sleep somewhere else, then you have to spell it out - 'spend the night away from home'/'spend the night with friends'/etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by el_84 View Post
    hello!
    and the meaning of [the] "left out" is to fail[,]to include something...
    for example:
    you left out the best parts of the story! Good example
    'left out' can also be a past participle of course:

    He was left out

    (It's an irregular verb: 'leave/left/left'.)

    b

Similar Threads

  1. left or have left?
    By victor su in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2006, 17:26
  2. left and right
    By MadHorse in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2005, 11:02
  3. Two left feet on the dance floor
    By bmo in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-Aug-2004, 18:43
  4. Back on and Left off
    By Antonio in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Aug-2004, 07:28
  5. left behind
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-May-2004, 15:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •