• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Question The least of these

I can see the least of these has some meaning, but can't find it explicitly stated. For example, look at the following sentence from Jane Walsh, "Not this time":
    "And I always have remembered her - especially her warm generous heart, and her kindness to one who was indeed "the least of these".

Thanks,
    Nyggus

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The least of these

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    I can see the least of these has some meaning, but can't find it explicitly stated. For example, look at the following sentence from Jane Walsh, "Not this time":
    "And I always have remembered her - especially her warm generous heart, and her kindness to one who was indeed "the least of these".

Thanks,
    Nyggus
    It means that she was generous and kind to someone who was not at all generous and kind

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Thanks,
    Nyggus
    "to one who was indeed "the least of these" = to somebody who was not the slightest bit kind and generous.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    It means that she was generous and kind to someone who was not at all generous and kind
    Can you give me one or two other examples? I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,
    Nyggus

• Post Thanks / Like

I think this is in fact a reference to Scripture: 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' Matthew 25:35, 37, 40; so the person is being commended for her charitable attitude to those less well off than herself, whether economically or emotionally.