Kindly answer the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asad hussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Could someone please have a look at the answers for grammar mistakes and weird sentences, and rephrase if they find anything weird, or answer the questions in their own style. I have left some questions, as I am up the creek with them. So, could someone please answer them too?
P.S. I have put parentheses where I doubt. And kindly let me know if I have made any grammar mistakes in the text above.

Here is the poem:

530. Daffodils. William Wordsworth. The Oxford Book of English Verse

1) What was the poet doing?
· The poet was moving aimlessly hither and thither. (Kindly rephrase it showing a bit more eloquence, but precisely, if possible.)
2) What did he see?
· He saw a field of daffodils.
3) Where were the daffodils?
· They were beside (a/the):-? lake, under (the):-? boughs of (the):-? trees.
4) With what does the poet compare the daffodils?
· He compares the daffodils with the stars.
5) Why does the speaker connect daffodils with the stars?
· He does so, because the daffodils were as sparkling and countless as the stars that shine and twinkle in the galaxy, and seem countless in numbers
6) What resemblance does he find between the stars and the daffodils?
(Won’t the answer to this question be the same as the answer to the above question? But I guess I need to answer in a different way. Could you please do it for me?):-?
7) How many flowers were there?
· There was a long belt of about ten thousand flowers.
8) Which of the two danced more: the waves or the daffodils?
· The daffodils
9) What did the poet feel looking at the daffodils?
· Please answer the question.:-?
9) How can wealth come to the poet by looking at the scene before him?
9) What happens to the poet when he lies on his couch?
· When the poet lies on his couch, the sight of the beautiful daffodils moves on the screen of his mind and he again finds the same pleasure and excitement that he (had/has) experienced long ago.(Kindly rephrase it showing a bit more eloquence, but precisely, if possible.)
12) Mention the two moods of the poet.
13) How can the heart dance?
14) Has this ever happened to you?
15) In the poem how does Wordsworth achieve the seemingly effortless effect of implying the unity of his consciousness with nature? Does this technique appear in any other Wordsworth lyrics?
·Wordsworth employs a kind of identity-switching technique, whereby nature is personified and humanity is, so to speak, nature-ized. Wordsworth describes himself as wandering "like a cloud," and describes the field of daffodils as a dancing crowd of people. This kind of interchangeable terminology implies a unity--metaphors from either realm can be applied to the other, because the mind and the natural world are one. A more subtle version of this technique appears in "Intimations of Immortality," in which the poet describes the natural world in the final stanza with a sequence of ascribed actions and characteristics previously performed and possessed in the poem by human beings.
16) Describe the scene in your own words.
·The poet says that, wandering like a cloud floating above hills and valleys, he encountered a field of daffodils beside a lake. The dancing, fluttering flowers stretched endlessly along the shore, and though the waves of the lake danced beside the flowers, the daffodils outdid the water in glee. The poet says that he could not help but be happy in such a joyful company of flowers. He says that he stared and stared, but did not realize what wealth the scene would bring him. For now, whenever he feels "vacant" or "pensive," the memory flashes upon "that inward eye / That is the bliss of solitude," and his heart fills with pleasure, "and dances with the daffodils."(Does the part italicized also come under the description of the scene?):-?
17) What is the central idea of the poem? Give it with a very short introduction of the poet.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'll start
3 You could use either, but it is 'the lake' in the poem.
6 Use the fact that they strectch in lines like the stars of the Milky Way
7 Could help but feel gay
8 life enriching

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Asad, is this an assignment? If not, could you tell us what kind of exercise it is? You see, and as you already know, we try not to do homework assignments for students. Please help ease my worries by telling us how our corrections and answers will help you.

All the best. :-D

asad hussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
No, it's not any homework assignment. I am trying to improve my comprehensiblity.:)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Last edited:

asad hussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
· The poet was moving gaily to and fro. (I have rephrased it. Could you please have a look at it for any mistakes and weird phrases?)

2) What did he see?
· He saw a field of daffodils. (I think it’s OK. What do you think?)

· They were beside (a/the) lake, under (the) boughs of (the) trees. (OK. But what about the next two pairs of parentheses, Tdol ?)

· He compares the daffodils with the stars. (I think it’s OK. What do you think?)

· He does so, because the daffodils were as shimmering and numerous as the stars that shine in the galaxy.(OK. now?)

6) What resemblance does he find between the stars and the daffodils?( I am still unable to answer this question, though I know the resemblance the poet finds between the stars and the daffodils. Actually I am up the creek with how to start answering the question. Casiopea, the web page you suggested me has helped me a lot. I am putting down an extract from the analysis found on the page, that, I think, is the answer to the question. But still I don’t know how to begin.)

AN EXTRACT FROM THE ANALYSIS
The word host makes them seem like their golden petals are shimmering like golden halos on angels. It is interesting to note that daffodils do have a circular rim of petals in the middle that could look like a halo. Later in the poem Wordsworth uses another simile, saying the dancing of daffodils in the wind is "continuous as the stars that shine and twinkle on the milky way." This line creates the image of the wind blowing the tops of random daffodils up and down in a haphazard matter, so they appear to glint momentarily as their faces catch the sun.

· There was a long belt of about ten thousand flowers. (I think this one is also fine. What do you think?)

· The daffodils. (OK?)

· He could help but feel gay. (Is it OK. now? By the way what does “could help but feel gay” mean?)

asad hussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
10) How can wealth come to the poet by looking at the scene before him?

· The "crowd" of daffodils comes his way offering warmth, spiritual wealth, richness and value. He realizes the true wealth of the daffodils, when his inner eye recalls back to time of hapiness with them when he felt depressed in his normal state of mind. (Is it fine?)

11) What happens to the poet when he lies on his couch?

· When the poet lies on his couch, the sight of the beautiful daffodils moves on the screen of his mind and he again finds the same pleasure and excitement that he (had/has/no helping verb) experienced long ago. (Kindly rephrase it showing a bit more eloquence, but precisely, if possible.)

12) Mention the two moods of the poet.(Don’t know where and how to start answering the question. Could you please answer it?)

13) How can the heart dance? (Please answer the question.)

14) Has this ever happened to you?(I don’t recall any encounter like this. Has this ever happened to you. If so, Please answer the question.)

15) In the poem how does Wordsworth achieve the seemingly effortless effect of implying the unity of his consciousness with nature? Does this technique appear in any other Wordsworth lyrics?

· Wordsworth employs a kind of identity-switching technique, whereby nature is personified and humanity is, so to speak, nature-ized. Wordsworth describes himself as wandering "like a cloud," and describes the field of daffodils as a dancing crowd of people. This kind of interchangeable terminology implies a unity--metaphors from either realm can be applied to the other, because the mind and the natural world are one. A more subtle version of this technique appears in "Intimations of Immortality," in which the poet describes the natural world in the final stanza with a sequence of ascribed actions and characteristics previously performed and possessed in the poem by human beings. (OK?)

16) Describe the scene in your own words.

The poet says that, wandering like a cloud floating above hills and valleys, he encountered a field of daffodils beside a lake. The dancing, fluttering flowers stretched endlessly along the shore, and though the waves of the lake danced beside the flowers, the daffodils outdid the water in glee. The poet says that he could not help but be happy in such a joyful company of flowers. He says that he stared and stared, but did not realize what wealth the scene would bring him. For now, whenever he feels "vacant" or "pensive," the memory flashes upon "that inward eye / That is the bliss of solitude," and his heart fills with pleasure, "and dances with the daffodils." (Does the part italicized also come under the description of the scene?)

17) What is the central idea of the poem? Give it with a very short introduction of the poet and poem.

ABOUT THE POEM
"I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" is an 1804 poem by William Wordsworth. It was inspired by an April 15, 1802 event in which Wordsworth and his sister, Dorothy came across a "long belt" of daffodils. It was first published in 1807, and a revised version was released in 1815. In anthologies the poem is sometimes titled "The Daffodils".The poem paints a picture of peace and tranquility. Wordsworth uses beautiful imagery to paint this picture (imagery of clouds, walks beneath trees, beside lake, etc.) (Please look at it for grammar mistakes.)

ABOUT THE POET.
William Wordsworth (April 7, 1770April 23, 1850) was a great English romantic poet. He is known to be "The Poet of Nature" and co-founder of England's Romantic Movement. He loved nature, and learned to appreciate every little thing and to see the beauty in simplicity. His poetry was too much inspired by the beauty of nature. His poems were descriptive and detailed. They used beautiful imagery to evoke emotions, thoughts, and feelings in their readers. He wanted the reader to feel what he felt. (Please look at it for grammar mistakes.)

CENTRAL IDEA/MAIN THEME
The simple things in life can enrich our lives, as we allow them. We can enjoy natural beauty double that is by its charming sight and memory for imagination, feeling of our heart and mind with peace and pleasure. Anything good ever remains fresh, unforgettable and undying. (Please look at it for grammar mistakes.)

“A thing of beauty is a joy forever” (John Keats)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'll start:
1 I would change the word 'gaily' as it has a different meaning now.
3 You can keep them the same as the poem or use a/the/some
9 He couldn't help but feel happy
10 recalls back to the time- repeptitious

asad hussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'll start:
1 I would change the word 'gaily' as it has a different meaning now.
3 You can keep them the same as the poem or use a/the/some
9 He couldn't help but feel happy
10 recalls back to the time- repeptitious

Many thanks for your help, Richard. But I am afraid I still have some problems. Could you please answer the questions correctly? I mean I would be very flattered if you put the answers right.

I respect you for you gave me some of your precious time. :)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
· The poet was moving gaily to and fro.
Actually, he was walking. More specifically, he was taking a nature walk. (By the by, instead of walking to and fro, try walking around or walking here and there.)

asad said:
2) What did he see?
· He saw a field of daffodils.
It's good.

· They were beside (a/the) lake, under (the) boughs of (the) trees.
Try, ...under the trees.

· He compares the daffodils with the stars.
Yes.

· He does so, because the daffodils were as shimmering and numerous as the stars that shine in the galaxy.
Several reasons. First, their shape. The petals mimic a star shape. Second, their number. The stars are infinite; the daffodils are abundant. Third, their color. They're golden. Note, Galaxy is capitalized in reference to the Milky Way.

6) What resemblance does he find between the stars and the daffodils?
Their flow, abundance, and continuity. The Milky Way is a bright line of stars stretching across the night sky.

· There was a long belt of about ten thousand flowers.
Good. Also try, there were about ten thousand flowers.

· The daffodils.
Good.

· He could help but feel gay.
Try, he couldn't help but feel gay. It means, he couldn't resist feeling happy.

Hope that helps. :-D

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
10) needs more work

11)
· The thought of the dancing daffodils gives him the same pleasure and excitement that he experienced long ago. Add ...
Whenever he feels "vacant" or "pensive," the memory flashes upon "that inward eye / That is the bliss of solitude," and his heart fills with pleasure, "and dances with the daffodils."

12) Mention the two moods of the poet.
· Lonely (i.e., as a cloud) and Happy (i.e., gay).

13) How can the heart dance? Figurative meaning here. Rhythm of heatbeats; also, the idiom make your heart dance means something makes you happy; e.g., chocolate makes my heart dance.

14) Has this ever happened to you?
=> Your answer is fine. :-D (Why do you need my answer??)

Wordsworth employs a kind of identity-switching technique, whereby nature is personified and humanity is, so to speak, nature-ized. Wordsworth describes himself as wandering "like a cloud," and describes the field of daffodils as a dancing crowd of people. This kind of interchangeable terminology implies a unity--metaphors from either realm can be applied to the other, because the mind and the natural world are one. A more subtle version of this technique appears in "Intimations of Immortality," in which the poet describes the natural world in the final stanza with a sequence of ascribed actions and characteristics previously performed and possessed in the poem by human beings. (OK?)
Uhm. Are those your words.?:shock:

The poet says that [while] wandering like a cloud floating above hills and valleys, he encountered a field of daffodils beside a lake. The dancing, fluttering flowers stretched endlessly along the shore, and though the waves of the lake danced beside the flowers, the daffodils outdid the water in glee. The poet says that he could not help but be happy in such a joyful company of flowers. He says that he stared and stared, but did not realize what wealth the scene would bring him.

ABOUT THE POEM
"I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" is an 1804 poem by William Wordsworth. It was inspired by an April 15, 1802 event in which Wordsworth and his sister, Dorothy came across a "long belt" of daffodils. It was first published in 1807, and a revised version was released in 1815. In anthologies the poem is sometimes titled "The Daffodils".The poem paints a picture of peace and tranquility. Wordsworth uses beautiful imagery to paint this picture (imagery of clouds, walks beneath trees, beside lake, etc.) (Please look at it for grammar mistakes.)

=> Uhm, did you actually write that?

That's about all I can do for now, Asad.

Good luck and all the best. :-D

asad hussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
1. He was walking aimlessly here and there.
(Can I also answer the question like this?)

3. They were beside the lake, under the boughs of the trees.
(Is this how you want me to answer this?)

They were beside a lake, under the boughs of some trees.
(Can I also try this?)

5. He connects the daffodils with the stars for several reasons. First, their shape. The petals mimic a star shape. Second, their number. The stars are infinite; the daffodils are abundant. Third, their color. They're golden. Note, Galaxy is capitalized in reference to the Milky Way.
(Is that how you want me to answer the question?)

(Can I replace the clause He connects the daffodils with the stars” with “He does so”?)

6. Their flow, abundance, and continuity. (Do I add this part to the answer too, or did you only write it to help me know The Milky Way?) The Milky Way is a bright line of stars stretching across the night sky.
(Not their shine?)

10. (What kind of work does it need more? Please tell me.)

13. (But how do I answer it?)

15. Not really.

16. (But my question is still not answered. I asked if I could add the italicized part as well.)

17. (Not all the words are mine. You haven’t looked at the next two parts “ABOUT THE POET” and CENTRAL IDEA/MAIN THEME”.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Was it aimless?
3 Both fine to me
5 a star shape- the shape of a star Yes to your question
17 If they're not your words, shouldn't you use quotation marks and indicate the source?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The simple things in life can enrich our lives, as we allow them. We can enjoy natural beauty double that is by its charming sight and memory for imagination, feeling of our heart and mind with peace and pleasure. Anything good ever remains fresh, unforgettable and undying.

I'd delete 'the' at the start- you're talking in general.
as we allow them- if?
double that- this doesnt work- how about twice/in two ways
Anything good always...

asad hussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
1. I mean he was walking without any purpose (=aimlessly) here and there.:-|
2. What do you mean by "a star shape"?:-?
3. Yes, you are utterly right.:)

Simple things in life can enrich our lives,how we allow them. We can enjoy natural beauty twice by its charming sight and memory for imagination, (the?) feeling of our heart and (a?) mind with peace and pleasure. Anything good always remains fresh, unforgettable and undying. :)

-Like this, Richard (/Tdol)?:?:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Why not use 'wandering'
2 That's the phrase you used, which I didn't like much.
We can enjoy natural beauty in two ways: the charm of seeing it and as a memory???

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
PS the feeling in our heart(s) and mind(s)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.