Nice meeting you vs nice to meet you

Status
Not open for further replies.

bercam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Is there any difference in conversation between the expressions nice to meet you and nice meeting you , like for instance one of them being more appropiate for the moment you first introduce yourself and the other for when you say goodbye after meeting somebody?
Thank you for your help in advance

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Welcome, bercam. :hi:

Present participles (e.g., meeting) express that an action is taking place - that it's been actualized, whereas infinitives (e.g., to meet) express that an action hasn't happened yet - it's unactualized. That's why "to meet" is used as a greeting and "meeting" as a farewell,

[1] Nice to meet you. <introduction>
[2] Nice meeting you. <closing>

Hope that helps. :-D

bercam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you very much for your quick and excellent help

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome, bercam. :hi:
Present participles (e.g., meeting) express that an action is taking place - that it's been actualized, whereas infinitives (e.g., to meet) express that an action hasn't happened yet - it's unactualized. That's why "to meet" is used as a greeting and "meeting" as a farewell,
[1] Nice to meet you. <introduction>
[2] Nice meeting you. <closing>
Hope that helps. :-D

A similar distinction continues to apply after the meeting - even though you might think that, as the meeting has actually taken place, the gerund would always be more appropriate.

In an email after the meeting you could say either
1 It was great to meet you
or
2 It was great meeting you

1 suggests an emphasis on the length of dealing with them by mail and not meeting face-to-face: 'It was great to meet you at last.'
2 puts the emphasis on the actual meeting: 'It was great meeting you and discussing the photos.' The emphasis again is on actuality.

b

saiashok

Member Type
Other
If someone say this to me, what should I say them back? Reply for "Nice to meet you".

Thanks
Sai

dipizz

Member Type
Student or Learner
If someone say this to me, what should I say them back? Reply for "Nice to meet you".

Thanks
Sai

I'd say "Me too".:-D

That's because I think it's such a "formal greeting", not a "real feeling of having met someone you like". Therefore when somebody tells you "Nice to meet you", you wouldn't definetely say anything which could seem negative in the same way as a reply.

wace

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'd say "Me too".:-D

That's because I think it's such a "formal greeting", not a "real feeling of having met someone you like". Therefore when somebody tells you "Nice to meet you", you wouldn't definetely say anything which could seem negative in the same way as a reply.

I don't fully agree with you dipizz. 'Me too' would be a suitable response to for example, 'I'm so glad to see you again'. For the response to be 'me too' the subject of the preceding sentence should be 'I'. The subject of 'Nice to meet you' is 'it' but it's usually dropped.
After 'Nice to meet you' I would say something like 'Nice to meet you' (with emphasis on 'you'). Alternatively: 'I've heard so much about you'.
Ever heard of 'Same here'?
Ex: A :'I've been looking forward to meeting you'
B: 'Same here (= Me too)'.

Status
Not open for further replies.