Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

Can I say:

1. I am talking to my friend on the phone.
or
2. I am talking with my friend on the phone.
or
3. I am speaking to my friend on the phone.
or
4. I am speaking with my friend on the phone.

Is there any difference in meaning?

Thank you for your comments.

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Thru

The versions with "to" put the emphasis on your part in the conversation.

The versions with "with" put equal emphasis on your friend's part in the conversation.

There's very little difference between "speak to" and "talk to", in this particular context. For me, "speak" puts more emphasis on the physical act of speaking, while "talk" puts more emphasis on "communication"; but other members would no doubt disagree!

All the best,

MrP

rancher247

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not 100% sure, but i think all 4 are used, but the most correct one would be I am speaking with... .

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello Thru

The versions with "to" put the emphasis on your part in the conversation.

The versions with "with" put equal emphasis on your friend's part in the conversation.

There's very little difference between "speak to" and "talk to", in this particular context. For me, "speak" puts more emphasis on the physical act of speaking, while "talk" puts more emphasis on "communication"; but other members would no doubt disagree!

All the best,

MrP
'
Thank you for your comment, MrP, but what do you mean when you said ['speak' puts more emphasis on the physical act of speaking]?

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Thru

I meant that, for me, "speaking" implies the physical act of opening your mouth and uttering words, but "talking" implies "communicating".

But as I say, it may not be so for everyone!

MrP

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi MrP,
Thank you very much for your explanation. I understood now.Are They( the different meanings you mentioned) also accepted in other occasions.
For example, " I am talking to her face to face"

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hi MrP,
Thank you very much for your explanation. I understood now.Are They( the different meanings you mentioned) also accepted in other occasions.
For example, " I am talking to her face to face"

Hi Thru

MrPedantic is right. "I`m talking to her face to face" means that you talk to someone and the other one just listens to you.
"I`m talking with her face to face "means that both people participate in the conversation [more or less] equally.

e.g. The English teacher is talking to his students -he communicates smth. to them
The English teacher is talking with his students- he and his students are talking about the new course, types of evaluation,etc.-the participation of both sides is somewhat equal

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.