proofreading

Hi,

could you please proofread the following text (especially the highlighted parts)

As soon as the claim for the payment accrues, this claim against the member will be set off against the claim of the member against the company up to the amount to which they are absolutely equal; the earliest due claims of the member against the company will be set off.

I am not sure about the preposition "against" - have a claim against the debtor, i.e. the debtor owes money to me

Thank you very much.

Hanka

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: proofreading

up to the amount to which they are absolutely equal- this doesn't read well to me:
    for an amount not exceeding the claim against the company??

Here, I donīt know the amount of the claims, so I canīt tell which of them will be completely settled by the set off, whether that of the company against the member or that of the member against the company. I just need to say that they will be set off up to an amount to which the amounts are the same (e.g. one of the claims is 1000 GBP and the second 1500 GBP; they will be set off up to the amount of 1000 GBP, which means that the first claim will be completely settled and the second will amount to only 500 GBP).
    Is it possible to modify the sentence (as soon as the claim for the payment accrues, this claim against the member will be set off against the claim of the member against the Company up to the amount to which they are absolutely equal) in a more suitable and general way?

Thanks.

or could I say "they will be set off to the extent to which they are equal" or "to which they match"???