• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Cameroon
      • Current Location:
      • Cameroon

Can you please check the grammar and formulation

Here's the letter :
    Last edited by boby18; 22-Jan-2007 at 13:31.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Can you please check the grammar and formulation

Quote Originally Posted by boby18 View Post
    Here's the letter :

Dear Sir/Madam:

My specific interest in studying at the University of Mississauga and my status as a second year UQCG University student in Political Science make me an ideal candidate for the RBH scholarship for a student exchange.

First of all, I have no problem whatsoever with studying and interacting in english, even though Iím always looking to improve my knowledge of the language (This makes no sense-do you or do you not want to interact in english?). The exposure to english makes the experience of living and studying in an english university more appealing and exciting for me. As for adaptation to a completely new environment, my travel experience in the United States and Europe has been highly profitable and instructive for me. The same is also true about my involvement in various student organisations (BE/AE?) across the province: organization, teamwork, responsibility and management are all things I have learned through student politics.

But I applied to the RBH scholarship with a clear objective in mind: to deepen my knowledge of russian, and more specifically, ukrainian politics and languages in the next year. I have developed through the years a special interest and personal passion for Russia and Ukraine, and it is my intention to pursue my studies in this domain. The University of Missaussauga is known across Florida for the excellency of its various Eastern European research programs: the HJU Program, the Slavic Languages Department and the Center for European Studies. Unfortunately, I do not have access to similar programs in my province, let alone in Vancouver city. That is precisely why this scholarship is so important to me: it would give me the exceptional opportunity to perfect my knowledge by studying with the top scholars in this area. It would allow me to fully achieve my goal of acquiring at least a basic knowledge of the ukrainian language, something which would be impossible otherwise. And since I am planning to further continue my studies of Eastern European politics and language abroad, this exchange program would be a priceless experience.

There is no doubt that being accepted for this scholarship at the University of Mississauga would be a highly satisfying experience for me as a student. Not only because studying Eastern European politics and language has always been my main objective, but also because it would be a unique and exceptional chance to do so.

Sincerely yours, ***

And parts of my CV:

Elected representative of the Social Science Department in 2004 in the student organisation of the ***. Re-elected in 2005. Active member in Florida and Boston in the preparation and the negociation of the 2005 student movement.

Highly active in the organisation of the ę Student Vote 2004 Ľ campaign to stimulate the politization (choose a different word if possible) of students regarding the 2004 federal election and the 2004 referendum on municipal defusions. Responsible for the organization and the preparation of many electoral debates and political conferences through 2004-2005.

Native french speaker, certificate of Advanced English IV, and learning russian.

Travel experience in Europe and the United States.
    I intend to pursue my studies at UQBH University by completing my Bachelorís Degree in Political Science. I am also planning to do a Masterís Degree in my fields of interest : eastern-european nationalism and geopolitics.

Additionnal data or references available upon request

Thanks a lot to all of you !
    Which style (AE/BE) are you trying to write in (this question applies to many of the words which I have highlighted in blue)?
    How formal did you want this to be? I changed many of your contractions.