Vet please

Last semester, I had a problem with a lazy adjunct (I shun adjuncts now.) who dismissed class two-hours early, administered no exams, and thought he was doing us a favor despite the contradiction he made when he read off questions from a literacy test, and the class including myself knew about one-third of the answers.

"who dismissed class two-hours early ..."

Should the "who" or "that" or whom"? And, why?

Thanks,

Rob

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Vet please

Hello RJP

Which one sounds natural to you?

MrP

Come on. I need to turn in this letter of introduction tomorrow. I'd say either "that" or "who": who because the "lazy adjunct" has consciousness or "that" because it sounds natural. I can't assimilate the usage of who and whom. It's dejecting.

Thanks,
    -- Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Pohl View Post
    Last semester, I had a problem with a lazy adjunct (I shun adjuncts now.) who dismissed class two-hours early, administered no exams, and thought he was doing us a favor despite the contradiction he made when he read off questions from a literacy test, and the class including myself knew about one-third of the answers.

"who dismissed class two-hours early ..."

Should the "who" or "that" or whom"? And, why?

Thanks,

Rob
    I was taught at school 60 some years ago that if one were to use 'he' or 'him' to replace "who" this is the clue. For instance "HE dismissed the class early" Or "HIM dismissed the class early" That makes it who not whom in this example. This may be quite outdated by now but it still works for me.

So ... I responded to the moderator's question, but I've yet to get an answers; would another moderator help me out, please?

-- Rob