1. Unregistered

... your being given (not you're being given)

I confirm that this meeting has resulted in your being given a final written warning.

Can anyone explain why I feel that the word your is right here, and not the word you?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: ... your being given (not you're being given)

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I confirm that this meeting has resulted in your being given a final written warning.
    Can anyone explain why I feel that the word your is right here, and not the word you?

Maybe because a teacher told you so; some teachers feel that way.

Others say that there are two options in cases like this:
    • obj. pronoun + present participle
    • possessive pronoun + gerund

The second is more formal, and some people use it all the time. But either is OK.

(Having said that, I'd add that I'd choose the possessive + gerund option; 'results in' seems to me to expect a noun, and I think the gerund does this better.)

b

'being fired' is a noun (specifically, a gerundival phrase) so it needs an adjective. Both your and you belong to the class Pronoun. you, if we put it in your example, would function as an object pronoun (for example, the ungrammatical: I confirm that this meeting has resulted in him being given. It should be, 'his being given'). your, on the other hand, is a possessive pronoun. It functions as an adjective. That is, it modifies nouns.

Note that, some speakers and writers incorrectly use the object pronoun (me, you, her, him, them) instead of the possessive pronoun (my, your, her, his, their). That is, we hear and read both, so when it comes to using a gerund, we're not sure which pronoun to use. Use the adjective.

Hope that helps.

Evenin', BobK. Sorry. I didn't see you there.

Thank you both: my sister and I have had a very interesting discussion following your posts! I am now registered on this forum (had to ask the question as an 'unregistered being' as my sister insisted it was asked immediately).
    Lesley

Your welcome, lesleyd, and welcome to the forum.