Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 289
    #1

    In spite of the sun shining,

    1. In spite of the sun shining, the air is still cold.
    2. I'm glad of the examination being over.

    Are the 2 sentences grammatically wrong?

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #2

    Re: In spite of the sun shining,

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    1. In spite of the sun shining, the air is still cold.
    2. I'm glad of the examination being over.

    Are the 2 sentences grammatically wrong?
    Though the sun is shining the air is still cold. If you want to use "in spite of" better to say like this "In spite of the sunshine the air is still cold. The second sentence is not correct either. " I'm glad the examination is over."


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 289
    #3

    Re: In spite of the sun shining,

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Though the sun is shining the air is still cold. If you want to use "in spite of" better to say like this "In spite of the sunshine the air is still cold. The second sentence is not correct either. " I'm glad the examination is over."
    Thanks, Harry, what about the following sentence? Does it also sound odd? Thanks.

    The mother still refuses medical intervention and insists traditional healers take over. This is in spite of the child herself asking to be treated.

  2. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #4

    Re: In spite of the sun shining,

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Thanks, Harry, what about the following sentence? Does it also sound odd? Thanks.

    The mother still refuses medical intervention and insists traditional healers take over. This is in spite of the child herself asking to be treated.
    This is in spite of the child's asking to be treated. I hope it's more correct. Or maybe "This is in spite of the fact the child was asking to be treated."


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 289
    #5

    Re: In spite of the sun shining,

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    This is in spite of the child's asking to be treated. I hope it's more correct. Or maybe "This is in spite of the fact the child was asking to be treated."
    Thanks, Harry, but it was written by a native speaker.

  3. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #6

    Re: In spite of the sun shining,

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Thanks, Harry, but it was written by a native speaker.
    Then it has two more versions.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2009, 13:14
  2. in spite of doing sth / in spite of one's doing sth
    By liamsaleh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2006, 16:11
  3. Though, although, in spite of, despite
    By zaed_salah in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-May-2006, 17:24
  4. monster compact of spite?
    By oldman2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2005, 21:36
  5. in spite of he fact ~ ?
    By lsujang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-Jul-2005, 02:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •