1. Margins should be a minimum of one inch on:
a. The left side of a page
b. All four sides of a page
c. The top and left sides of the page only
d. The left and right sides of the page only
2. Papers should be double-spaced, with the first line of every paragraph:
a. Indented three spaces
b. Indented five spaces
c. Indented ten spaces
d. Flush left
3. In APA format, pages are numbered:
a. In the bottom center
b. In the top center
c. In the upper-right corner, at least two inches from the right edge of the page
d. At least one inch from the right edge of the page, in the space between the top edge of the paper and the first line of text
4. Quotations should be displayed in a free-standing block of double-spaced, typewritten lines without quotation marks, indented five spaces from the left margin, if they are:
a. Extremely important
b. 40 words or more
c. A direct quotation/dialog
d. Fewer than 40 words
5. The preferred typeface for text is:
a. Sans serif
b. Times New Roman
c. Courier New
d. Both b. and c. above
6. Guidelines for headings include which of the following?
a. Heading levels may be identified by positioning and by highlighting through the use of italics.
b. Headings should accurately reflect the organization of the paper.
c. Headings of the same level should be consistent throughout the paper.
d. All of the above
7. To distinguish or emphasize words, to indicate less common foreign words, or to identify words being defined, substitute underlining by using:
b. Double quotation marks
c. Single quotation marks
8. Within the text, highlight titles of works that are published, released, or produced separately from other works (such as books and periodicals) by using:
c. Double quotation marks
d. Single quotation marks
9. Which of the following guidelines reflect(s) APA style for abbreviations in non-technical documents?
a. The omission of periods in acronyms and common abbreviations
b. The use of only one period when an abbreviation occurs at the end of a sentence
c. The use of abbreviations in units of measure
d. Only a. and b. above
10. Plagiarism is described as dishonest behavior and a serious academic crime. In order to avoid plagiarism, writers must cite their sources, unless the sources are common knowledge. Based on these guidelines, which of the following statements needs a citation?
a. World War II began in 1939 and ended in 1945.
b. The freezing point of water is 32 degrees Fahrenheit, or 0 degrees Centigrade.
c. Currently, the fastest growing group of Web users comprises women over the age of 55.
d. O.J. Simpson was acquitted of criminal charges for the murder of his former wife.
11. Under what circumstances would you need to include an in-text citation?
a. If you are directly quoting a source
b. If you are paraphrasing a source
c. Both a. and b. above
d. If the source is not included on your reference list
12. The list of sources at the end of a paper formatted in APA style is titled:
a. Works Cited
c. Works Consulted
13. In the reference list, include:
a. Only sources either directly quoted or paraphrased in your paper
b. A full list of sources as they appeared in your paper
c. Only sources directly quoted in your paper
d. Sources you have actually used in your paper, as well as other sources your readers might find useful
14. To separate the parts of a single reference in a reference list, use:
a. Periods and double-spacing after the punctuation
b. Periods and single-spacing after the punctuation
c. Semicolons and double-spacing after the punctuation
d. Semicolons and single-spacing after the punctuation
15. The reference list must be:
b. With a hanging indent
c. Flush left
d. Both a. and b. above
For questions 16 through 18, use the following information:
Role of Personality in Determining Value Judgments
Title (journal article):
Maxine Renee Shaw, Ph.D.; Jonathan L. Speaks,
M.D.; and Kathleen M. Neal, Ph.D.
Journal of Applied Psychology
16. Select the correct format for an in-text citation for the above source if you used information from page 560. The authors' names do not appear in the text as part of the narrative.
a. (Shaw, Speaks, & Neal, 1999, p. 560)
b. (Shaw, Maxine; Speaks, Jonathan; & Neal, Kathleen, 1999, p. 560)
c. (Shaw, M.R.; Speaks, J.L.; & Neal, K.M., 1999, p. 560)
d. (Journal of Applied Science, 1999, p. 560)
17. Indicate how you would format an in-text citation, in APA format, for the above source when the source quotes someone named John L. Adams. Adams is named in the text as part of the narrative.
a. (Adams, J.L., 1999)
b. Adams (1999)
c. Adams (cited in Shaw, Speaks, & Neal, 1999)
d. (Adams, as cited in Shaw, Speaks & Neal, 1999)
18. Indicate how you would format the above source at the end of your paper if you viewed it only in its electronic form.
a. Shaw, Marlene R.; Speaks, Jonathan L.; & Neal, K.M. (1999). Role of Personality in Determining Value Judgments [Electronic version]. Journal of Applied Psychology, 75, 558-577.
b. Shaw, M. R., Speaks, J. L., & Neal, K. M. (1999). Role of personality in determining value judgments [Electronic version]. Journal of Applied Psychology, 75, 558-577.
c. Shaw, M.R., Ph.D.; Speaks, J.L., M.D.; & Neal, K.M., Ph.D. 1999. “Role of personality in determining value judgments.” [Electronic version] Journal of Applied Psychology, 75, 558-577.
d. Shaw, M.R.; Speaks, J.L.; and Neal, K.M. (1999). Role of personality in determining value judgments[Electronic version]. Journal of applied psychology, 75, 558-577.