A or an SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kameier

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello

I'm just a bit unsure: Do you write "send me a SMS" or "send me an SMS". I thought the latter was correct because the indefinite article depends on how the next letter is pronunced. If it's a consonant sound you write a, if it's a vowel sound you write an (e.g. a university student but an umbrella). So it should be an SMS. Is this correct? Interestingly google yields results for both an SMS and a SMS.

Advice of grammar expert appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Karin

Last edited:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello

I'm just a bit unsure: Do you wirte "send me a SMS" or "send me an SMS". I thought the latter was correct because the indefinite article depends on how the next letter is pronunced. If it's a consonant sound you write a, if it's a vowel sound you write an (e.g. a university student but an umbrella). So it should be an SMS. Is this correct? Interestingly google yields results for both an SMA and a SMS.

Advice of grammar expert appreciated! Thanks in advance
Karin

Yes, I think "an SMS" is correct.

Philly

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi Karin
Yes, "an SMS" is correct in both spoken and written English for exactly the reason you wrote.
Native speakers generally do not make an error such as "a SMS" in spoken English. This sort of error is most likely to occur only in written English.
I googled "a MBA" and one of the first results was this. The title is incorrectly written as "What is a MBA?" But if you read further, you will see that they wrote it correctly ("an MBA") throughout the text.

M

matilda

as once one of my teachers said, we should rely on what we hear not what we see.
in words like SPECIAL or SMS, we hear an (e) before (s). so we should use AN

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
as once one of my teachers said, we should rely on what we hear not what we see.
in words like SPECIAL or SMS, we hear an (e) before (s). so we should use AN

But we don't hear an /e/ before the /s/ of 'special'. We do, of course, before 'especial' - but not before 'special' (though it's a common mispronunciation among ESLs - and possibly among some non-native English teachers ;-)).

b

Philly

Member Type
English Teacher
Of course, in Britain at least, you're more likely to hear 'a text'. :-D
b
Having just returned to the US from a long stint in Germany, I've consulted an expert (my nephew :mrgreen:) and can confirm the use of 'a text' here, too.
@Asad & Matilda
The pronunciation of the abbreviation 'SOS' begins with an "es" sound (not "s") and the abbreviation 'MBA' begins with an "em" sound (not "m"). That's why you need to use the article 'an'.
As Bob noted, the first sound you hear when you pronounce the word 'special' is 's' -- so you have to say "a special gift".

Last edited:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi, Philly!
Nice explanation!:up:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Of course, in Britain at least, you're more likely to hear 'a text'. :-D

b

Often said without the final t
:lol:

M

matilda

But we don't hear an /e/ before the /s/ of 'special'. We do, of course, before 'especial' - but not before 'special' (though it's a common mispronunciation among ESLs - and possibly among some non-native English teachers ;-)).
b

you are COMPLETELY right. :D
it's the exact problem we non native speakers of english have in our countries line Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.