• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

begrudge

I looked up the word at answers.com, and I understood the meaning, but the example it gave actually confuses me.

Begrudge

1. To envy the possession or enjoyment of: She begrudged him his youth. See synonyms at envy.

2. To give or expend with reluctance: begrudged every penny spent.
    Sure, no.1 is easy enough to understand, but how about the boldened example in no.2? you 'give' every penny (that is) spent? how can you give with reluctance what is already spent? Can you help me with this?

Re: begrudge

I think you have to see it as resenting the situation that you are spending money on something you don't want or don't see any point in buying.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

'how can you give with reluctance what is already spent?' I see no problem. As Anglika said, you spend the money but resent the fact that you have to. If I resent the fact that I have to pay 1,000 for a season ticket that lets me travel to and from work on crowded and dirty trains that usually run late and are regularly cancelled, you bet I begrudge the money spent!

b

I am having a problem too with this verb.

"She begrudged her friend the award."

Shouldn't it be: "She begrudged her friend for the award"(she envied her for the award)?

No. You do not begrudge for something; you begrudge someone having something or begrudge having to so something.

In your sentence, "Begrudge" = feel envious that (someone) possesses or enjoys (something)