non-resrictive RC.

1- can non-restctive relative clauses co-occur in the same sentence and can they modify the same noun?

2- Restrictive RC is marked by intonation. which component(s) is stressed?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: non-resrictive RC.

The truck that I drive every day, which is a Toyota, is red.

The truck subject

that I drive every day restrictive relative clause

which is a Toyota non- restrictive RC

I suppose you can use both and be grammatically correct, but I think the sentence sounds very awkward.
    I would recommend:
    The truck that I drive every day is a red Toyota.
    Just because you can use both doesn't mean you should use both in one sentence.

A non-restrictive relative clause is usually pronounced in a slightly lower register, a negative stress:

"His wife, who is beautiful, baked the cookies."

Quote Originally Posted by rezaa View Post
    1- can non-restctive relative clauses co-occur in the same sentence and can they modify the same noun?

Sure they can, Rezaa. In theory, an infinite number of NRRC could co-occur but normally we don't use a number of them. We might, if we wanted to emphasize something, to really rub it in.

This job, which I detest, which I got thru my father, you must know, which is maaaaaajor dead-end, which bores me no end, is presently all I've got to pay the piper.

This article, which is supposed to be unbiased, which was meant to inform, not proselytize, which, supposedly, was written by a professional, which headlined in a major newspaper, is a piece of crap!

2- A Restrictive RC is marked by intonation. which component(s) is stressed?
    I'd say that there is very little in the way of intonation in restrictive relative clauses.

The boy who's coming is Jack.

thank you :)