Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 66
    #1

    the more I have, the more I want

    I learn that `the' is definite article and should be used with nouns only.

    But, let's see here :

    (1) The former, the latter.
    (2) The more I have, the more I want.

    In the above two sentence, it is not used with noun.

    So, I am confused.

    Please anyone help me.


    • Join Date: May 2006
    • Posts: 1,335
    #2

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    Hi,
    So that statement is wrong. The former and the latter, though, are perhaps substantival adjectives and are used as nouns. Or we may consider them as elliptical constructions where the article refers to the following noun which is omitted.
    Regards

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #3

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    Quote Originally Posted by viet_ghat View Post
    I learn that `the' is definite article and should be used with nouns only.

    But, let's see here :

    (1) The former, the latter.
    (2) The more I have, the more I want.

    In the above two sentence, it is not used with noun.

    So, I am confused.

    Please anyone help me.
    Before the second degree of adjectives we use "the" when the adjective is repeated twice in different parts of the same sentence. An example for you: The more you study English the more you get confused.
    I hope you will overcome difficulties and one day it'll be very easy for you to understand such simple things.Good luck!


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 1,740
    #4

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    So that statement is wrong. The former and the latter, though, are perhaps substantival adjectives and are used as nouns. Or we may consider them as elliptical constructions where the article refers to the following noun which is omitted.
    Regards
    Thank you Humble.

    you said we consider it as `elliptical construction'.
    i.e. article refers to the noun which is omitted.

    Could you say exactly which noun is omitted in this context?


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 1,740
    #5

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    So that statement is wrong. The former and the latter, though, are perhaps substantival adjectives and are used as nouns. Or we may consider them as elliptical constructions where the article refers to the following noun which is omitted.
    Regards
    Thank you Humble.

    You said it is `elliptical construction'
    i.e. article refers to the noun which is omitted.

    Could you say which noun is exactly omitted here?


    • Join Date: May 2006
    • Posts: 1,335
    #6

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    It depends on the context. For instance,
    Mr. Manilow and Mr.Hewlett are both members of that group. The former (person) lives in Canada and the latter (person) in Japan.

  2. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #7

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    It depends on the context. For instance,
    Mr. Manilow and Mr.Hewlett are both members of that group. The former (person) lives in Canada and the latter (person) in Japan.
    What other meaning does "the latter" have? You are right when you use it as"the second of the two above mentioned".
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 02-Feb-2007 at 19:11.

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #8

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    Quote Originally Posted by viet_ghat View Post
    (1) The former, the latter.
    (2) The more I have, the more I want.

    In the above two sentence, [the] is not used with a noun.
    Actually, 'former', 'latter', and 'more' are substantives - noun substitutes; e.g., "Only the lonely", "The young have been fed", and "No more for me, please."

    All the best.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Aaland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 475
    #9

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Actually, 'former', 'latter', and 'more' are substantives - noun substitutes; e.g., "Only the lonely", "The young have been fed", and "No more for me, please."

    All the best.
    They are, but I think those "pronouns" are derived from omitting the noun.

  4. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #10

    Re: the more I have, the more I want

    Quote Originally Posted by dihen View Post
    They are, but I think those "pronouns" are derived from omitting the noun.
    Which pronouns?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •