Smile blinked my way

"Why have you gone all pink, Indie?" Dylan (Indie's younger stepbrother) blinked my way. I ignored my step-brother and thought about the headline about me-having-a-talent-for-doing-good again.
    Me!
    Little old me! Little old pink-cheeked, embarrased-by-that-compliment me!
    I had a talent for doing good!

As a first point, is it proper to replace blinked my way with blinked to me/blinked in my direction?
    Second, why did the writer use "old" to describe a teenage young girl? Does old in this context have any special meanings for a native speaker?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: blinked my way

You replace it with 'in my direction' or 'at me', but I think the original sounds better. 'Little old me' is a set phrase, sand can be used to single yourself out or to show (false) humility; if you won a prize you could say that they gave it to 'little old me', which sounds less boastful.

Re: blinked my way

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    You replace it with 'in my direction' or 'at me', but I think the original sounds better. 'Little old me' is a set phrase, sand can be used to single yourself out or to show (false) humility; if you won a prize you could say that they gave it to 'little old me', which sounds less boastful.
    Thanks, Tdol, for the explantion.

Nevertheless, it seems that I'm not smarter than I was before as for Little old me.

As a first point, is sand a typo for and?

Second, what do you mean by the words in blue?
    Do you mean that Indie singled herself out for hitting the headline and tried to show certain (and could be unreal) humility?

Third, what other terms could we possibly use here to express the same idea? What about Poor Old me, Poor little me, or Little poor me?

Thanks.