based/basing

This definition categorizes workers based on their company's final product rather than on the actual work the employees perform.

why is it "based on" rather than "basing on"?

thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: based/basing

'We use 'based on' because we are using figures that have been calculated- 'basing' would be used when the process or the explanation is unfinished- what are you basing that on?

This definition categorizes workers by using figures that is based on their company's final product rather than on the actual work the employees perform.

is this what you mean?

thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by mengta View Post
    This definition categorizes workers based on their company's final product rather than on the actual work the employees perform.

thanks
    I think Tdol's being too kind to the writer. What the writer means is that the categorization is based on..., and the sentence is just sloppily written. I'd say either

This definition categorizes workers according to their company's final product rather than the actual work the employees perform.
    or
    We have based the categories used in Table n on the final product of an employee's company rather than on an employee's actual work.

b

Smile Re: based/basing

Quote Originally Posted by mengta View Post
    thanks
    I think Tdol and Bob have made their good points and are very helpful. If you still have doubts, maybe my point of view will be of a bit help.

Here is how I view your base sentence:

This definition categorizes workers, which is based on their company's final product rather than on the actual work the employees perform.

After we dispense with which is, the comma after workers is often ommited. Thus, we obtain your base sentence.