Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face adjectives

My daughter is supposed to write a 100 word article on teh sunset using only 1 adjective. She is finding this difficult because of words like, my,the,that, and lots of others are adjectives. Is it possible for her to do it and is there any way we can input her text somewhere and have it analysed to tell her how many adjectives she's used?
    We would appreciate any help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: adjectives

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyMum View Post
    My daughter is supposed to write a 100 word article on teh sunset using only 1 adjective. She is finding this difficult because of words like, my,the,that, and lots of others are adjectives. Is it possible for her to do it and is there any way we can input her text somewhere and have it analysed to tell her how many adjectives she's used?
    We would appreciate any help.
    In fact, the examples you gave are not adjectives. "my" is a personal pronoun, "the" is the definite article, "that" is also a pronoun, "lots of others" is not an adjective either. Adjectives are easy to be found, words like beautiful, red, golden, tired, tall, smart, etc. are adjectives.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

'My' is not a personal propnoun; it is a possessive adjective, though some people do argue that it is not an adjective but a determiner, so you can tell your daughter that she can use them because it is not a term used by all, but disputed.

Post the work up here and we'll happily look through it. There are parser programs, but they're fairly clunky and she might find them hard to use.

Red face Re: adjectives

Hi Tdol, This is the passage she has written - she would appreciate any help. Many thanks

My eyes gazed to the beauty of what seemed like angels dancing in the sky. It was illuminated with an almost burning light that seemed to flush my inner soul like a zephyr. Colours weaved dramatically throughout the horizon, bursting like lava from the ground. Subtle splits of smoking blue were still visible, caught in the radiance before me. The reddened clouds swirled around, flying like butterflies. All the blue drained from the sky leaving a warm magenta wreathing the landscape. The burnt colour of fire swam between everything the eye could see leaping from behind trees like discreet flames.

Hi Tdol, I am the daughter in distress lol. I thought i was good with words before i was given this task by my tutor! The trouble i'm having is when i check that the words i want to use are not adjectives i get different answers from different resources. i have three dictionarys which more or less contradict each other. i am aware that sometimes it's the way the word is used that makes it an ajective however it's the little words i want to know about and can't seem to find the answers anywhere. Words such as...my, the, like, that, all, warm, a...etc. I have been on the net too and again just find contradiction, even to this question there has been different answers lol. So please if you could take a look at my piece which my mum posted above^ and please let me know which words are the ajectives i would be so gratefull, i have college on friday lol.
    many thanks
    heather

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyMum View Post
    Hi Tdol, This is the passage she has written - she would appreciate any help. Many thanks

My eyes gazed to the beauty of what seemed like angels dancing in the sky. It was illuminated with an almost burning light that seemed to flush my inner soul like a zephyr. Colours weaved dramatically throughout the horizon, bursting like lava from the ground. Subtle splits of smoking blue were still visible, caught in the radiance before me. The reddened clouds swirled around, flying like butterflies. All the blue drained from the sky leaving a warm magenta wreathing the landscape. The burnt colour of fire swam between everything the eye could see leaping from behind trees like discreet flames.
    Adjectives

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

One more adjective

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by buoyantbabe78 View Post
    Hi Tdol, I am the daughter in distress lol. I thought i was good with words before i was given this task by my tutor! The trouble i'm having is when i check that the words i want to use are not adjectives i get different answers from different resources. i have three dictionarys which more or less contradict each other. i am aware that sometimes it's the way the word is used that makes it an ajective however it's the little words i want to know about and can't seem to find the answers anywhere. Words such as...my, the, like, that, all, warm, a...etc. I have been on the net too and again just find contradiction, even to this question there has been different answers lol. So please if you could take a look at my piece which my mum posted above^ and please let me know which words are the ajectives i would be so gratefull, i have college on friday lol.
    many thanks
    heather
    Heather, I think you do have a way with words; you have done things well with similes, etc. There are words like this/my where some call them adjectives and other determiners, but not things like a/the. I wonder whether your teacher meant such a strict interpretation, or whether he or she meant writing without descriptive adjectives like warm.

Hi Tdol, Heather here again lol. I really appreciate your comments, i have to say they have given me a boost of confidence and for that i thank you. I trust what you say as you are indeed an english teacher, however i would like to know what dictionary do you go by? I ask this because my tutor gave us an example...she said while we couldn't use red, we could use reddened. Also in the dictionarys i have it states that, almost is an adverb? I have to admit i have become somewhat confused with this task but at the same time i am enjoying the challenge lol. Your feedback is most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Heather
    Last edited by buoyantbabe78; 06-Feb-2007 at 16:12.

Hi Tdol, Heather here again! This is my new version, I decided to keep the word, my. I got myself a new dictionary lol, an oxford one, so to my knowledge the following has only one adjective which we are allowed. I would very much appreciate you looking over it and confirming this for me please. By the way I have left in the word reddened if it is wrong I can blame her lol.
    Many thanks, Heather

My eyes gazed to the beauty of what seemed like angels dancing in the sky. It was illuminated with a blazing light that seemed to flush my soul like a zephyr. Colours weaved dramatically throughout the horizon, bursting like lava from the ground. Splits of calm blue were still caught in the radiance before me. The reddened clouds swirled around, flying like butterflies. All the blue drained from the sky leaving an explosive magenta wreathing the landscape. The magnificent colour of fire swam between everything the eye could see leaping from behind trees like gold flames. Flushes of a rose colour shone exotically. Twilight magic dreamily spread warmth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast