• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Listening comprehension: the end of ze world

Flash The End of the World

This flash movie might be offensive by academic standards, but it is nevertheless cleverly made. I could not pick up a few parts of its narration mainly because the narrator mimics some weird accent into it.

If this flash is deemed too offensive or not suitable in this forum, you can delete this post and let me know.

Otherwise I have a few questions.

1. The narrator begins with this: hokai (okay), so, here's the earth, chilling, dang (damn?), that is a sweet _____ you might say, wrong! Allright, ruling out...

I couldn't hear the _____ part. what did the narrator say?

2. ...then France's like, Shit guys, _____ missles are coming!

Again, I couldn't understand the _____ part. What was it?

3. At some point, Russia goes "Ah motherland!!". A lot of people seem to find this part funny. What is it about the Russians referring to their own motherland motherland that is so funny?

4. Right after Russia, there's the England part. I only understood "eh chaps?" Everything else slipped my ear. What did they say?

I would appreciate your inputs. Thanks for your time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Listening comprehension: the end of ze world

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade View Post
    Flash The End of the World
    This flash movie might be offensive by academic standards, but it is nevertheless cleverly made. I could not pick up a few parts of its narration mainly because the narrator mimics some weird accent into it.
    If this flash is deemed too offensive or not suitable in this forum, you can delete this post and let me know.
    Otherwise I have a few questions.
    1. The narrator begins with this: hokai (okay), so, here's the earth, chilling, dang (damn?), that is a sweet _____ you might say, wrong! Allright, ruling out...
    I couldn't hear the _____ part. what did the narrator say?
    2. ...then France's like, Shit guys, _____ missles are coming!
    Again, I couldn't understand the _____ part. What was it?
    3. At some point, Russia goes "Ah motherland!!". A lot of people seem to find this part funny. What is it about the Russians referring to their own motherland motherland that is so funny?
    4. Right after Russia, there's the England part. I only understood "eh chaps?" Everything else slipped my ear. What did they say?
    I would appreciate your inputs. Thanks for your time.
    I don't have Flash installed, and don't plan to install it. But it sounds to me as if it's based on a rather dated scenario, with the USA and USSR being antagonistic superpowers. Even in the days of the cold war, citizens of the USSR/CCCP might have taken offence at being called 'Russian' whether or not they were in fact Russian. Today, I wouldn't be surprised if real Russians took offence at this sort of thing. So you might like to consider deleting the link, if you get to it before a moderator who has the time to load and run it.

Incidentally, it looks as if an American voice uses the word 'missile'; the BE pronunciation is /'mısaıl/; a /'mısəl/ is spelt 'missal'.

b