• Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

all/just the same

Hi,

Though all/just the same means in spite of..., can we use it in the following context?

They both said all/just the same thing.
    He resigned Friday and left all/just the same day.
    He bought all/just the same car as his friend's.
    All/just the same thing happened to him.
    I would do all/just the same again.
    He thinks all/just the same as his wife does about this.

"I'll have a hamburger with no tomato and no onion." "All/just the same for me, please."

Re: all/just the same

Though all/just the same means in spite of..., can we use it in the following context?
    Hi Retro
    All the same and just the same mean the same thing when they are used as idioms meaning nevertheless.
    If you want to use these words differently, then you need to pay attention to what the words mean individually and/or other idiomatic usages. Simply because two idioms are interchangeable when used with a particular meaning does not mean that those same groups of words can automatically be used interchangeably for other meanings:
    just the same - Definitions from Dictionary.com
    Click on the link above and scroll down to the idioms. You'll see that 'all the same' and 'just the same' each have an additional idomatic usage and those are not interchangeable.
    Many of your sentences sound odd, some would be better with different words, some would be better with additional words, and some of them are just plain wrong because the word 'all' doesn't work with the singular noun you've got in the sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Re: all/just the same

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Hi Retro
    All the same and just the same mean the same thing when they are used as idioms meaning nevertheless.
    If you want to use these words differently, then you need to pay attention to what the words mean individually and/or other idiomatic usages. Simply because two idioms are interchangeable when used with a particular meaning does not mean that those same groups of words can automatically be used interchangeably for other meanings:
    just the same - Definitions from Dictionary.com
    Click on the link above and scroll down to the idioms. You'll see that 'all the same' and 'just the same' each have an additional idomatic usage and those are not interchangeable.
    Many of your sentences sound odd, some would be better with different words, some would be better with additional words, and some of them are just plain wrong because the word 'all' doesn't work with the singular noun you've got in the sentence.
    Alright, let me get it straight.

"He thinks all the same as his wife does about it" is not OK even if "all" here can individually mean "completely", so we have to find a synonym for "all", right?

How about this one: he thinks exactly or much the same as his wife does about it.

Also, that site states that "just the same" can also mean "in the same manner". I think, therefore, "He thinks just the same as his wife does" is fine. Or am I wrong?

What context can it be used in?

Would you exemplify it?

Thank you
    Last edited by retro; 07-Feb-2007 at 00:32.