Wink insult

Is it "to add insult to the injury" or "to add injury to the insult". Which is correct? Or both can be used according to the situation? Grateful for explanation.

Re: insult

Quote Originally Posted by Romel Panzer View Post
    Is it "to add insult to the injury" or "to add injury to the insult". Which is correct? Or both can be used according to the situation? Grateful for explanation.
    In my dictionary, there exists only "add insult to the injury." It means to make a relationship with another person even worse by offending him as well as actually harming him.
    To improve my writing, here I venture my premature example:

After giving his woman a good lash, Jack added insult to her injury by letting her feel the lash of his tongue in public.

As for to add injury to the insult, I think we need some help from other members of experts. Personally, I presume it could work and make sense except that it assumes a somewhat different meaning from to add insult to injury.

Usually the phrase is "add insult to injury". I have never encountered it used in any other way, nor have I met "add injury to insult".

The way in which they were made redundant after the company takeover added insult to injury.

'add injury to insult' is used in sports and elsewhere. Here is just a small sample of the examples out there:

When we retaliate we only make things worse -- add injury to insult. It's better to let the insult go by.

Appointing Bolton would add injury to insult. His sledgehammer diplomacy would likely undermine many of these emerging ...

And to add injury to insult Mohammad Rafique's face and Sibanda's helmet accidentally clashed in mid-pitch, causing...

Sometimes they heaped chains and such on him to add injury to insult.

To add injury to insult, I had just been snubbed for the position of Director ...

To add injury to insult, it was stuck together with tape which attacked and ...

To add injury to insult Allen suffered a unique blow when he ripped his pectorial muscle almost completely in a match against Auckland and missed the rest ...

(Headline) ADDING INJURY TO INSULT: HOW THE OPPRESSION OF WOMEN DRIVES THE AIDS EPIDEMIC IN AFRICA.

All the best.