Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We have made improvements to the Advanced Text Analyser. The new version of the Text Analyser is finally here!

The main changes we have implemented so far are listed below, and we plan on adding even more functionality in the near future. New features include:
  • Tabbed Interface - Making it simpler to understand and easier to navigate
  • Analysis History - Save your analysis results to your personal history
  • Phrase Analyser - Examine phrases found in a text
  • Online Help - Definitions and descriptions to help you understand the results
Go to the Advanced Text Analyser

Benj

Member Type
Other
Hello

I tried out the new text analyzer and found several useful features. How to use one feature eluded me, the phrase feature. Can you tell me what use this feature is?

Thank you

Benj

A.Russell

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Thailand
I wrote some code to contribute to the text analyzer and sent it to you on Saturday night. I haven't had a reply, yet. Could you tell me if you have received it?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks a lot Mr R- I look forward to seeing it in action. We have received it. Many thanks.

salala

Member Type
Student or Learner
I cannot use the Advanced Text Analyser bacause when I go to that page is blank... the same for the members page...
Does it happen only to me?

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Oops! Sorry about that, the problem's now been fixed. Thank you for letting us know. ;-)

mayasilva

Member Type
Academic
Hi,

I am having the same problem. When I try to access the Advanced Text Analyzer, I am prompted for my login information and then a message comes up that says that I am logged on but the user name and password fields pop back up and are blank.

Thanks,

Maya

rosielim06

Member Type
English Teacher
I tried the advanced text analyser today.:) It is very interesting to see our proficiency in English writing.
The one thing I would like to is to correct my mistake or any suggestions on usage of certain words or sentences. If there is, the text will become better and do more good in improving one user in their writing.:lol:
Anyway it is really good to have this analyser:up:.

kimmeyh

Member Type
Academic
In particular, I was looking for a tool that would show the Unique words and/or phrases in a passage (count = 1). From what I could see, it looked like those were excluded. Is there a way I can view them?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Harold K.

A.Russell

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Thailand
Highlighting words that only appear once is possible, I just hadn't thought of any need for it.

Phrasal analysis, on the other hand, is much more difficult.

Red5

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In particular, I was looking for a tool that would show the Unique words and/or phrases in a passage (count = 1). From what I could see, it looked like those were excluded. Is there a way I can view them?

If I understand your question, then the answer is yes you can view a list of all words.

Navigate to the Word Frequency report and you should see a list of words that, by default, excludes common words, numbers and single-occurrence words. You can use the tick boxes on the right of the report to include or exclude any of these options.

I hope that answers your question. ;-)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Great job guys.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, nice work.
I had trouble getting the sort by “Frequency” combo box selection to work under “Hard Words”.

Red5

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, nice work.
I had trouble getting the sort by “Frequency” combo box selection to work under “Hard Words”.

I'll check on that issue when I can (soon) and will report back. ;-)

syku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Germany
When I analyzed some text by Hemingway, the Analyser graded it as a 6th grader's writing. Then I mingled some long words in gibberish, the Analyzer concluded that the text came from a "30th grade" college graduate. What can be improved?

Last edited:

aziz abd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Last edited:

maryamy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you for this text analyser. But my problom is that i cant undrestand the meaning of indexes or rest of the things and the Help Tab just doent work!
I'll be great if a short discribtion of each item is added below the result.
Kind regards and thank you again,

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks- sorry for that- there is an error there. I'll get it fixed.

Sanmayce

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi to all,

I ran your analyser: it's a good attempt to give some info but not powerful enough for me at least at first glance, I wish you good luck with its development. Maybe before running it it would be handy to give some detailed features, of course it is just my first impression.

My skills in English language are forever far from needed, but this bothers me not because I believe in constant/lifelong improvements concerning either programming or a language sidekick tool.

I posted in this sub-forum a thread: 'Brutally fast 4-gram phrase ripper' which after accumulating 5 posts I intend to describe in a better/useful fashion.

Regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.