1. Christina12

Question Strictly

Hello,

'He works for another company. If he came to our company's dinner things could get 'strictly professional'

What does the author means by saying things could get strictly professional?!

Many thanks

Re: Strictly

Quote Originally Posted by Christina12 View Post
    Hello,

'He works for another company. If he came to our company's dinner things could get 'strictly professional'

Many thanks
    Imho, your base sentence sounds for me like:

If he came to our company for dinner, things are not what they seem. That is, he didn't simply come for dinner but for professional stuff exactly/completelyprecisely.

The above is my wild shot; let's wait for some rescue from experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina12 View Post
    Hello,

Many thanks

I would interpret that to mean that the conversation would not become relaxed in case someone let out confidential information of use to the other company.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I would interpret that to mean that the conversation would not become relaxed in case someone let out confidential information of use to the other company.
    Hi, Anglika, your interpretation sounds very reasonable and really impresses me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I agree, but for the sake of argument, if he works for another company and he comes to the company's dinner, I would prefer to talk about non-professional things to prevent confidential info from leaking out.