• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 81,679
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Dear teacher,

Which should it be? "In" or "On" the premises? For example, is it "No smoking is allowed on the premises" or "No smoking is allowed in the premises"?

Thanks,
Shaz

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

piousoul

Member Type
Academic
Dear teacher,

Which should it be? "In" or "On" the premises? For example, is it "No smoking is allowed on the premises" or "No smoking is allowed in the premises"?

Thanks,Shaz

This is intriguing. I've just checked it in my dictionary, and Tdol is right about your question.
No smoking is allowed on the premises. That is to say, No smoking is allowd in the building.

I wonder why two different prepositions are used to express a silimlar idea here. Would some experts shed more light? Thanks.

Fizi

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Buildings can be thought of as large containers, which is why in is used.
Premises is an area of land, including any buildings that might be on it, so on is used.

If no smoking is allowed in the building, you might be able to go outside to smoke. If no smoking is allowed on the premises, you would not be able to smoke in the building or right outside.

piousoul

Member Type
Academic
Buildings can be thought of as large containers, which is why in is used.
Premises is an area of land, including any buildings that might be on it, so on is used.
If no smoking is allowed in the building, you might be able to go outside to smoke. If no smoking is allowed on the premises, you would not be able to smoke in the building or right outside.:up:

Fizi, thanks for the most sensible and logical clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.