strawtarget

who knows what means "strawtarget" as a noun and also as a verb, sometimes is written straw-target?

Re: strawtarget

Quote Originally Posted by nimsooze View Post
    who knows what means "strawtarget" as a noun and also as a verb, sometimes is written straw-target?
    Can't say as I've ever heard it, Nimsooze, but, a shot in the dark; it might have something to do with "attacking in order to knock down a strawman argument.

The targets used for archery are made of straw. I would expect a hyphen, straw-targets. I certainly wouldn't expect to see it used as a verb. Can you give a context for it?

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Can't say as I've ever heard it, Nimsooze, but, a shot in the dark; it might have something to do with "attacking in order to knock down a strawman argument.
    Hi, riverkid, I'm intrigued in this post of yours; what does the words in blue mean?
    Correct me if I'm wrong; here is my shot in the dark:

A false-evidence remark.

all of my examples about this word (noun and verb) come from Mr Terry Eaglton's works and it seems to me that he coined this word or at least this use of the word :
    "I accuse postmodernism...of "strawtargetting" or caicaturing its opponents' positions" (The Illusions of Postmodernism , 1997, P. viii)
    "it's a vulgar kind of strawtargetting" (ibid)
    "it's a some kind of strawtarget"(ibid)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by nimsooze View Post
    all of my examples about this word (noun and verb) come from Mr Terry Eaglton's works and it seems to me that he coined this word or at least this use of the word :
    "I accuse postmodernism...of "strawtargetting" or caicaturing its opponents' positions" (The Illusions of Postmodernism , 1997, P. viii)
    "it's a vulgar kind of strawtargetting" (ibid)
    "it's a some kind of strawtarget"(ibid)

That context shows that RK's guess was right. Eagleton is accusing post-modernism of misrepresenting ['caricaturing' - making an approximate but easily ridiculed likeness] its opponents' positions, and then attacking them (rather than the actual positions).

b

but how about strawtarget as a noun?