• Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

Argumentative texts

Dear teachers,
    Hi!
    Could you please give me some hints on how to write an argumentative text?
    It would be nice if you could tell me about its structure and some of the expressions or phrases that you should use to write a good argumentative text.
    Thanks in advance

Kind regards
    Seagull

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Argumentative texts

I think the most im,portant things to do are to select the points that truly back up your position- some people try a 'splattergun' effect, whereby they throw everything negative or positive that they can think of, regardless of whether it is really related to the question or improves the persuasiveness of the argument.

In terms of structure, use a paragraph per point and sequence them in order of importance.

Why don't you give us the title of something you have had to write, and we can start arguing here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

Thumbs up Re: Argumentative texts

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I think the most im,portant things to do are to select the points that truly back up your position- some people try a 'splattergun' effect, whereby they throw everything negative or positive that they can think of, regardless of whether it is really related to the question or improves the persuasiveness of the argument.

In terms of structure, use a paragraph per point and sequence them in order of importance.

Why don't you give us the title of something you have had to write, and we can start arguing here.
    Hi again!

Here it goes then: "Advantages and disadvantages of new technologies"
    Quite a topic, hein?! Do you think we can talk about this in...let's say 120 words?!
    It could start like this:

As anything else, the new technologies have advantages and disadvantages. For many people they have more advantages and for others (or should we use to others here?)it's the opposite ( can we use opposite here, with this meaning?).
    In my opinion the new technologies have lots of advantages because they make our everyday life much easier. (Here, I could write about the different fields where I personally use new technologies. What do you think?)
    I really appreciate your help with this!
    I'll be back again later today. Now, I really have to go! I have a meeting at school, and I really shouldn't miss it, should I?
    I'm looking forward to your "comments"

Seagull

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Argumentative texts

120 words is not much space to develop this topic. Given the title, I think you should try to give both points of view in a balanced way- there's no assessment of personal view suggested by the question. If you only have 120 words, then just choose the key advantages and disadvantages and present them, giving equal weight to each, regardless of your personal opinion.

EG:
    Advantage- instant communication and access to information/disadvantage- the digital divide- exclusion of many, especially the poor and those in the developing world
    etc