some questions about the news

Hi, I have some questions about the news below:

Snorkeler mistaken for rodent, shot in face - CNN.com

Question1: What does the "It" in "It just fragmented and didn't go into his brain" refer to? Does "It" refer to the bullet or the bone? It's hard for me to decide what "It" refers to because this news also says "remove bullet and bone fragments from his face," and I just don't know what fragmented and what didn't go into his brain?
    Question2: Can "the" in "the most dense" be omitted in here? If "the" can be omitted in here, could you please explain why?
    Question3: Do you think the sentence "William Roderick, 60, of Reedsport, has been charged with assault, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana" can be altered into a better one? For example, do you think it's ok to juxtapose "assault" and "being"? It seems a little asymmetrical to me; I think "committing an assault" would be better. I also don't understand why "possession" is used twice here; why not just say "in possession of a firearm, methamphetamine and marijuana"? Lastly, I also want to ask if this sentence can be better after it is changed into this one "William Roderick, 60, of Reedsport, has been charged with assault and possession of a firearm, methamphetamine and marijuana."?
    Thank you very much.

Re: some questions about the news

Hi, I have some questions about the news below:

Snorkeler mistaken for rodent, shot in face - CNN.com

Question1: What does the "It" in "It just fragmented and didn't go into his brain" refer to? Does "It" refer to the bullet or the bone?

----------------

It should be referred as the bullet. If it refers to the bone fragments, then the pronoun should be they.

-------------------------

Question2: Can "the" in "the most dense" be omitted in here?

---------------------

I don't think so.

-------------------------

Question3: Do you think the sentence "William Roderick, 60, of Reedsport, has been charged with assault, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana" can be altered into a better one? For example, do you think it's ok to juxtapose "assault" and "being"? It seems a little asymmetrical to me; I think "committing an assault" would be better.

---------------------

You could say that again.

---------------------------

I also don't understand why "possession" is used twice here; why not just say "in possession of a firearm, methamphetamine and marijuana"? Lastly, I also want to ask if this sentence can be better after it is changed into this one "William Roderick, 60, of Reedsport, has been charged with assault and possession of a firearm, methamphetamine and marijuana."?

----------------------

No, I think otherwise in that Roderick was charged with three different accounts, and your version reduces it to two.