Cool norther...

Hi,

I'm surprised to find in a geography book words like: norther, souther south-wester ect.... on a compass card. Shouldn't it be north, south ect....?

Re: norther...

Quote Originally Posted by ieasy View Post
    Hi,
    I'm surprised to find in a geography book words like: norther, souther south-wester ect.... on a compass card. Shouldn't it be north, south ect....?
    It depends on the context, Ieasy. Winds are often named thusly.

Cool Re: norther...

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    It depends on the context, Ieasy. Winds are often named thusly.
    So in which case should I use norther instead of north and so forth?

Hi Ieasy

With one exception, I don't ever use the words norther, souther, easter and wester at all.
    We sometimes get severe storms in this part of the US that we call "nor'easters" (northeasters). The name of such storms refers to the direction the wind comes from: The wind comes from the northeast.
    Nor'easter

Cool Re: norther...

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Hi Ieasy
    With one exception, I don't ever use the words norther, souther, easter and wester at all.
    We sometimes get severe storms in this part of the US that we call "nor'easters" (northeasters). The name of such storms refers to the direction the wind comes from: The wind comes from the northeast.
    Nor'easter
    So they are used as nouns, aren't they? I cannot norther California, but northern California, correct?

As I said, I do not use any of them at all except "Nor'easter". Here in the coastal northeastern US, we use that word as a noun to refer to a certain type of storm (one of which happens to be whipping through right now ).

Yes, I'd say 'northern California' -- never 'norther California'.

There are dictionary entries for norther, souther, easter and wester, though. Most of the definitions indicate that the words are nouns and refer to wind (from that direction):
    norther - OneLook Dictionary Search
    souther - OneLook Dictionary Search
    easter - OneLook Dictionary Search
    wester - OneLook Dictionary Search

One reason that we don't tend to use them much or even to use all of them is that there is generally only one prevailing/important wind for most locales. That'd be some weather for an area that had names for four or more winds that brought storms.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

And we have so'wester for the hat:
    http://www.waterwinkel.nl/product?artikel=291