Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 289
    #1

    Smile What connotations will casiopea have?

    Excuse me, Casiopea, for starting a new thread to discuss your alias without asking your permission first! Please don't feel offended. No offense; I just couldn't refrain my curiosity. Besides, learning a name is also part of knowledge of a langusge.
    Last edited by piousoul; 13-Feb-2007 at 02:14.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #2

    Re: What connotations will casiopea have?

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Excuse me, Casiopea, for starting a new thread to discuss your alias without asking your permission first! Please don't feel offended. No offense; I just couldn't refrain my curiosity. Besides, learning a name is also part of knowledge of a langusge.
    I don't think we "refrain my curiosity", PS. It doesn't sound quite natural.

    refrain from (doing something)

    I just couldn't refrain from asking.

    "refrain my curiosity" got no hits when I googled it.


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 289
    #3

    Re: What connotations will casiopea have?

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    I don't think we "refrain my curiosity", PS. It doesn't sound quite natural.

    refrain from (doing something)

    I just couldn't refrain from asking.

    "refrain my curiosity" got no hits when I googled it.
    Thanks, riverkid, for your correction.

    If I substitute restrain for refrain, how does it sound?

    I just couldn't restrain my curiosity.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #4

    Re: What connotations will casiopea have?

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Thanks, riverkid, for your correction.

    If I substitute restrain for refrain, how does it sound?

    I just couldn't restrain my curiosity.
    PERFECTO!


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 289
    #5

    Re: What connotations will casiopea have?

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    PERFECTO!
    Thank you, riverkid, for the feedback.
    By the way, I'm also intrigued whenever I type your alias. Does that imply you grew up near a river or something? River must be significant enough for you to use it as part of a nick.

    Will you be offended if I start a thread about your alias?


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #6

    Re: What connotations will casiopea have?

    Quote Originally Posted by piousoul View Post
    Thank you, riverkid, for the feedback.
    By the way, I'm also intrigued whenever I type your alias. Does that imply you grew up near a river or something? River must be significant enough for you to use it as part of a nick.

    Will you be offended if I start a thread about your alias?
    Not in the least, PS but there's hardly enough vital info to fill a thread. I love rivers. I love to play in them, canoe and kayak them, snorkel them, generally just become one of the fishes in them.

    Most people just don't know how much goes on under the surface, how peaceful it is, how gorgeous it is.


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 289
    #7

    Re: What connotations will casiopea have?

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Not in the least, PS but there's hardly enough vital info to fill a thread. I love rivers. I love to play in them, canoe and kayak them, snorkel them, generally just become one of the fishes in them.

    Most people just don't know how much goes on under the surface, how peaceful it is, how gorgeous it is.
    Thanks, riverkid, for the info.
    I also adore rivers; for me, they are symbols of life, peace, and happiness.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

  2. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    #9

    Smile Re: ?

    It's an awesome constellation. Great link! Bob.

Similar Threads

  1. Thanks Casiopea
    By Hisrory teacher in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-May-2006, 14:49
  2. connotations
    By sheilasimeon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2004, 01:05
  3. Thank you, Casiopea
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-May-2004, 12:00
  4. To Casiopea
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2004, 09:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •